PDA

View Full Version : Rally car rear pads std vs DS3000?

Evogone
31-08-2011, 17:48
What pads do people go for std or same as front ? Got DS3000 in the Alcon fronts and have some for the rears too.....People say dont bother...?

cliokongen
01-09-2011, 13:29
Preference really....
It's all about the balance and temperature in my opinion.

I use std. pads at the rear but balance (std. rear bias valve) is set more agressively than standard.
I get plenty of heat in the pads - but not too much for the std. pads to cope.

You probably have a proper bias valve?

If you can generate heat in the pads with the current brake balance you are running = don't bother changing to a different pad.

Michael

Geronimo
01-09-2011, 18:41
Rears do **** all anyway.

chip
01-09-2011, 18:46
I'd be inclined to stick with standards unless they are giving you major problems.

Simply because you will quickly get heat into your fronts but not your rears, so if you fit pads in the rear that need a bit of heat, you'll think you have the bias right till they get hot then the rear will start to lock up.
At least if you overheat standard pads on the rear it just shifts the balance to the front and you can always get rid of a bit of that by just using a little more throttle when you left foot brake, plus even if you just live with it and dont left foot brake, then its less likely to cause an issue having too little braking on the rear than too much.

Geronimo
01-09-2011, 19:23
Heat in the rears, lol. Lucky to keep the rust off them.

Evogone
02-09-2011, 00:53
I'd be inclined to stick with standards unless they are giving you major problems.

Simply because you will quickly get heat into your fronts but not your rears, so if you fit pads in the rear that need a bit of heat, you'll think you have the bias right till they get hot then the rear will start to lock up.
At least if you overheat standard pads on the rear it just shifts the balance to the front and you can always get rid of a bit of that by just using a little more throttle when you left foot brake, plus even if you just live with it and dont left foot brake, then its less likely to cause an issue having too little braking on the rear than too much.

Have DS2500 in now and they dont do anything until hot and they dont get hot, where i have some DS3000 and work a lot better from cold / med temps.

chip
02-09-2011, 09:58
Better off with standard pads then if you arent getting any heat into them as they will work reasonably well even from stone cold.

cliokongen
02-09-2011, 11:37

Drive faster.... :D

Geronimo
02-09-2011, 11:43

Drive faster.... :D

Otherwise know as rust removal scrapers.

sideways danny
04-09-2011, 10:27
rears do about 12-15% as standard. If you improve the rear braking on a stripped out track car, you'll have the back overtaking the front as they'll lock up too easily.

Evogone
11-09-2011, 23:35
Fitted the DS3000 in the rear, had an event over the weekend and the braking was mega and pads have made a huge difference vs the ds2500.

Although i still get the front Alcons smoking when finishing the stage.!! LOL

Wobba
12-09-2011, 23:47
Nice. When are you posting more rally car vids!?

Evogone
13-09-2011, 12:55
Nice. When are you posting more rally car vids!?

Very soon was out at the weekend at the Promenade stage, most competitive class i have come across for some time.

On quote from the event organisors....

"Liked that little Clio, always nice to see a FWD playing tripod. Good soundtrack too, reminded me off the old F2 cars of the 90s, which is no bad thing at all "

Vids to come...

http://usera.imagecave.com/clocmid/prom11-02.jpg

Wobba
17-09-2011, 01:21
Hehe!! Must be hammering it to get that much lean.