PDA

View Full Version : Walbro Fuel Pump

cjspindler
31-08-2011, 08:01
Hi,

I am thinking of changing the fuel pump in my Williams to a Walbro motorsport spec one.

does anyone have any experience with these? If so, are they any good?

Also, do you have to drop the tank to change the pump? I have seen that it's easy to get access to the top of the tank, but can I lift the pump straight out or would i have to drop the tank to get to it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

fani
06-09-2011, 10:31
the fuel pump can be easily change from the inside of the car, only if you already cutted the floor. i had a walbro fuel pump on my 16v , now i have a fuel pump from a renault megane II with a 1.8 16v engine. it's not the same, but it's doing a good job.

robi1000
06-09-2011, 10:34
Also consider Bosch 044 pump, I heard that they are better made then Walbro.

JamieG
06-09-2011, 22:08
I've got a walbro pump in mine, never had any issues with it.

Replaced it due to my OE one not always priming as it should do.

cjspindler
07-09-2011, 07:44
Cheers,

So, in order to replace the pump with the tank still in place, I would have to make some modification to the floor area?

Do you need any special tools to release the pump from the tank? I tried turning it to see if i could manage, but it is very tight.

Coops
07-09-2011, 08:19
use a hammer and drift to carefully shift the ring, it will probably take a few lugs off the ring but it should shift eventually in the standard anti-clockwise direction

i think in all william's you can get to the pump through that assembly, no modification of floor needed, it was only early phase 1 valvers that had a pump seperate from the sender assembly, although i'm no 100% on that!

BristolSam16v
16-09-2011, 23:09
Yeah only the very early valvers (mine was a j-reg) didn't have a hole pre-cut under the rear seats so I had to drop the tank when I replaced my fuel tank.

You should have two round holes under your rear bench, one for the fuel level sender and one for the fuel pump so can be changed pretty easily