PDA

View Full Version : Car covers?

Wobba
30-08-2011, 16:08
Outdoor car covers will scratch your paint. Fact? Movement from a rubbing cover mixed with dust/dirt = sandpaper effect.

Discuss.

fabulicious
30-08-2011, 16:47
Nah thats an urban myth mate. had an outdoor cover on mine albeit indoors for 5 years or more and never had any issues. only thing is I had to make sure the air was passing through the little vents on the cover as in the summer time it got very humid in the garage. now i just throw a dust sheet over it.

stevie_b
31-08-2011, 08:24
It is a fact that they can. I mainly use my 'outdoor' covers on the cars in the garage, so no wind and no ill effects from flapping about. However, the one day I trailered the car with a cover on it the flapping cover completely wore the paint off the car in a couple of areas. Bit of an extreme case as it was subjected to 60mph air for a few hours, but the same could surely happen over time in a suitably windy location.

theweekendhaslanded
31-08-2011, 17:52
I wouldnt cover my car with one if it was left outside. Its obvious if dirt is on the paint and a cover is moving about its gonna scratch. If the car is inside then it should be ok but like mentioned above they can attract moisture whether there inside or out.

Coops
06-09-2011, 21:01
turbo has lived under a covercraft noah for 2 years, just over, since the respray and thats outdoors in all weathers for the whole of the time period

no scratches, had a few very smalll scuffs on the roof line (due to me having no roof rails, but they t-cutted out

the cover itself is however now pretty knackered though so i need a new one!!

chip
07-09-2011, 00:54
I wouldnt cover my car with one if it was left outside. Its obvious if dirt is on the paint and a cover is moving about its gonna scratch. If the car is inside then it should be ok but like mentioned above they can attract moisture whether there inside or out.

Depends how well secured the cover is, and if the inner lining is soft, if so its more likely to polish it than scratch it!

I used a classic additions one when I have to park my sierra outside, works really well but in very windy weather its worth putting a couple of extra straps round it just to make sure it cant move.

Geronimo
07-09-2011, 12:25
Ive had my car under a car cover outside for 4 years and it hasnt damaged the paint in any way.

Tommo
07-09-2011, 16:19
Me too