PDA

View Full Version : Road legal track tyres?

schakal
25-08-2011, 22:35
When do they become illegal ? Under 1.6mm thread as per standard road legal tyres ?
What about on the track , how far into the thread can you keep using them ?

Talk to me !! 8)

16v_paddy
26-08-2011, 02:17
I've done 4 track days on 1 pair of R888's that were on the legal limit when I bought them & there's deffo a couple more left in them

chip
26-08-2011, 15:21
Most tracks have no rules other than "must have visible tread" IME

Ive certainly run well below the legal limit on track, but its a mugs game doing so on the road at 3 points per corner of course!

schakal
26-08-2011, 15:37
Cheers for the replies guys , just looking into getting some used track tyres ,wanted to understand how used they can be , lol

chip
26-08-2011, 16:45
IME once I get down near the legal limit on things like 888, they have suffered so many viscious heat cycles that they are nowhere near as grippy anymore.

So I would try and avoid any that have been used very hard on track already even if they have a couple of mm left.

16v_paddy
26-08-2011, 19:33
IME once I get down near the legal limit on things like 888, they have suffered so many viscious heat cycles that they are nowhere near as grippy anymore.

So I would try and avoid any that have been used very hard on track already even if they have a couple of mm left.

With the diminished amount of grip from tyres like that then, are they still better than the level of grippiness from normal road tyres?

schakal
27-08-2011, 21:10
anyone tried these badboys before ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxsport-RB5-Rally-Tarmac-Tyre-185-60-R14-Soft-/300582848505?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item45fc2247f9

chip
29-08-2011, 18:57

With the diminished amount of grip from tyres like that then, are they still better than the level of grippiness from normal road tyres?

When you first go out they aer still very grippy, but a few laps in when they get hot again they go "slimey" and start sliding about a lot, but still better than a normal road tyre.

Ive got a pairt of A048s in this condition if anyone wants them, 30 quid the pair + 20 postage if you cant collect.

TBH if you dont drive far too hard through all the bends sliding the car about like I do, they wouldnt overheat as badly as they do for me!

chip
29-08-2011, 18:59
anyone tried these badboys before ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxsport-RB5-Rally-Tarmac-Tyre-185-60-R14-Soft-/300582848505?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item45fc2247f9

Yes ive used RB5s they grip well but they lack sidewall stiffness, also you want to really avoid the softer compounds for anything other than drag racing as they really do wear out quick on track.

16v_paddy
29-08-2011, 19:27
Ive got a pairt of A048s in this condition if anyone wants them, 30 quid the pair + 20 postage if you cant collect.

TBH if you dont drive far too hard through all the bends sliding the car about like I do, they wouldnt overheat as badly as they do for me!

I'm slowly building up to that level of driving & I mean slowly :lol: so will stick with buying used tyres for track use.

I'd have those yokos off you but I simply haven't got room to put anything anywhere atm :(
Tbh I'm surprised you've still got them, thought they'd have gone a long while ago

schakal
29-08-2011, 19:38

When you first go out they aer still very grippy, but a few laps in when they get hot again they go "slimey" and start sliding about a lot, but still better than a normal road tyre.

the toyos are 185/55/15s i assume mate ?
how much thread in them roughly ?

chip
31-08-2011, 18:25
A048R

No longer legal, hence they are less than 10% of the new cost.

Link here to the for sale thread for them:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42737&highlight=

More suited to drag than trackday now IMHO