PDA

View Full Version : Valver Manifold on Willy engine/exhaust

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 22:21
Right I have aquired a Valver manifold and downpipe, and have ecountered some different problems that 2live had when fitting his.

Manifold fits ok, down pipe attaches ok, but where ever the downpipe is placed it's very very close to an engine/gearbox mount, which makes me thinks it's gonna rattle it's ass off when driving.

Has anyone else had this problem or is this what you do when you have a Valver manifold.....the thing that gets me wondering whether or not I have the correct Valver downpipe?

Any help appreciated people.

Cheers

Rob

Mark_Ritchspeed
10-08-2005, 22:40
Sounds like the manifold is no good. I will happily dispose of it for you. :D

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 22:41
hehe, bet I have the wrong down pipe, although it fits the manifold like a dream.

It will fit straight away from the engine mount but then the exhaust would have to come out the side instead of the back...lol

Mark_Ritchspeed
10-08-2005, 22:50
I really must get round to trying out a Valver fanimold on mine. See if theyre everything they are hyped up to be.

VIPERONE
10-08-2005, 22:57
i have a spare downpipe u can have 4 free.

Mark_Ritchspeed
10-08-2005, 22:58
I'll take you up on that Gunner. Just need the manifold now. Who wants to donate? :wink:

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 23:02
i have a spare downpipe u can have 4 free.

You got any pics to compare with mine Gunner?

2 live
11-08-2005, 09:33
the valver downpipe i tried was a really small bore at the cat/de-cat joint compared to the devil de-cat and rest of zorst on mine.

was bout 1/2 inch diff iirc

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 09:42
the valver downpipe i tried was a really small bore at the cat/de-cat joint compared to the devil de-cat and rest of zorst on mine.

Pipe size is OK, it's just sits close to dog bone mount and the pipe points out at a silly direction, so modification is needed.

Might be as well getting Powerflow to build me a new exhaust around the new manifold some time in the future.

I imagine these people who don't have problems with the Valver manifold on Willy engines are using Valver exhausts? Which I assume are different

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 10:53
The downpipe should be on a flexible mounting, so you should be able to pull it out of the way. Then loosen the rearmost mounting bolts on the cat/de-cat and push that across to the drivers side of the car. Tighten it up, then bolt the cat/de-cat to the downpipe. It should hold it out of the way.

Did that to mine a couple of days ago when the downpipe was hitting the dogbone bolts and it cured it.

See ya

Matt

MatBrown
11-08-2005, 10:59

Pipe size is OK, it's just sits close to dog bone mount and the pipe points out at a silly direction, so modification is needed.

Might be as well getting Powerflow to build me a new exhaust around the new manifold some time in the future.

I imagine these people who don't have problems with the Valver manifold on Willy engines are using Valver exhausts? Which I assume are different

Are you mounting the downpipe to exhaust first?
As the most flexibility is between the manifold and downpipe.

Mat.

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 11:08
Fitted manifold, then down pipe, then try and attatch the decat/rest of exhaust, is this wrong?

Didn't tighten the bolts on the down pipe to manifold/

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 11:33
If you tighten the drivers side nut on the flexible joint from manifold to downpipe, it should pull the downpipe away from the rear engine mounting.

You're connecting it in the right order yes. Get the downpipe in the right place, then brick the rest of the system up with a few bricks to take the stress off your arms. You can then easily shift the centre section around to mate up with downpipe.

See ya

Matt

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 11:38
Cheers for the replies fellas

How far is the down pipe from the mount on yours clowo16v?

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 11:44
It's got about an inch of clearance I think. I'll check in a min and get back to your. When it was rattling it was literally touching the bolts for the dogbone mounting.

See ya

Matt

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 11:50
It's got about an inch of clearance I think. I'll check in a min and get back to your. When it was rattling it was literally touching the bolts for the dogbone mounting.

See ya

Matt

Could you get me a pic possibly or am I asking to much :)

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 12:01
Took some photos for you.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/4x4100E-MedExhaust007.jpg

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/4x4100E-MedExhaust001.jpg

The gap between the bolt and downpipe is about 3/4". As you can see in the 1st pic, there is a small dent where the bolt was hitting the downpipe.

See ya

Matt

arj256
11-08-2005, 12:05
Why not put the bolt in the other way to give it more clearance?

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 12:06
Cheers Matt, mines a lot closer than that, your downpipe looks different than mine?

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 12:07
Why not put the bolt in the other way to give it more clearance?

Mine doesn't look like that, it doesn't have a bolt sticking out like that, my downpipe actually touches the mount not the bolt

Think I have the wrong down pipe :(

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 12:09
arj there's plenty of clearance how I have it, its just I put the exhaust on incorrectly when I bodged it together to get home, so it was hitting it.

FM, the cars a Mk1 Ph2 from late 1995, duno if they changed design over the years. Can you take a picture of your exhaust see what the differences are?

See ya

Matt

arj256
11-08-2005, 12:10
Oh thought that was a pic of yours.
Theres something up then if its touching the mount.
The mount is in the correct position? more than likely is, but never know.

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 12:11
Just read your last post. How does the dog bone mount attatch then? Can you get pics?

See ya

Matt

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 12:13
Just read your last post. How does the dog bone mount attatch then? Can you get pics?

See ya

Matt

Im not sure if it's the dog bone mount, Im just going off what MatBrown said and infinicar.

I'll try and get some pics later on car is at the garage my mechanic is trying to sort it

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 12:18
The dog bone mount is the only engine/gearbox mounting near the exhaust. It basically stops fore & aft movement. I'm guessing, but I think you have the wrong downpipe and its bringing the exhaust too far to the nearside.

Is it a new downpipe or 2nd hand?

It can't be bolted on wrong so it can't be that. Got me stumped this one lol.

See ya

Matt

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 12:19
The dog bone mount is the only engine/gearbox mounting near the exhaust. It basically stops fore & aft movement. I'm guessing, but I think you have the wrong downpipe and its bringing the exhaust too far to the nearside.

Is it a new downpipe or 2nd hand?

It can't be bolted on wrong so it can't be that. Got me stumped this one lol.

See ya

Matt

2nd hand from infinicar, could do with some pics of a Downpipe, really to compare

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 12:24
I didn't take any last time I took it off. Not easy to get at either as you have to take the driveshaft out to get it off lol.

Did they tell you what year car the manifold and downpipe were off?

See ya

Matt

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 12:28
I didn't take any last time I took it off. Not easy to get at either as you have to take the driveshaft out to get it off lol.

Did they tell you what year car the manifold and downpipe were off?

See ya

Matt

Just spoke to Paul at Infinicar, helpful bloke, cheers if your reading 8)

He says the downpipe is deffo correct, and they do sit close to the mount.

So I phoned the garage, he's gonna fit it and just have to see how it goes. Hopefully it will be OK.

The only thing I noticed on your pics is mine looks close the the rear of that mount and not the front like yours, mines more towards the flange.

clowo16v
11-08-2005, 12:35
Yeh probably the best way. If its hitting the dog bone though, you'll end up with a vibration on the overrun, which is possibly the most annoying thing ever.

Better to try it now and it work, then needlessly cut it.

See ya

Matt

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 20:29
Almost sure my downpipe is wrong

Thanks to Mat and Daz for the pics 8)

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4913