PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Fitting

Vandella
19-08-2011, 17:07
Hi Guys, Me Again!! 8) im having a new clutch put it in and i was just wondering if particular tools are required for this? and im aware that gearbox out the bottom is the best way.. but what would be the procedure to get at it. it wont ariive till early nxt week but id like a bit of info on the best way! thanks!

fabulicious
19-08-2011, 17:36
Jack car up and use axle stands on the sills. Dont go too high and not too low! On an average axle stand use the first notch.
Remove battery,airbox,clutch cable and undo any loom wiring attached to the box.
Undo nearside wheel, plastic arch trim,brake caliper,track rod end,bottom ball joint, strut bolts. Leave the drive shaft attached to gearbox but find a way to support it when your sliding the gearbox out.
Get underneath the car and MARK the location of the gear selector rod and undo it. Find the pin in the offside drive shaft and knock it out.
Undo the offside strut and this should give you enough room to take the drive shaft out of the box.
I usually disconnected the downpipe and steering rack so that when you have loosened and dropped the subframe you have a bit more room to wiggle or support the gearbox using a little jack.

There are a shed load of bolts attaching gearbox to engine but the one missed the most is the one underneath the starter motor.

No special tools required but it's a tough enough job every time!
Take your time and take pictures before stripping everything down so you can look over them later just in-case you get lost.

Vandella
19-08-2011, 19:27
Brilliant! thank you , thats amazing! hoipefully it will all go smoothly! (touching wood). cheers again!

16v_paddy
19-08-2011, 20:24
Get underneath the car and MARK the location of the gear selector rod and undo it.

No need to do this - horrible bastard fiddly cunt of a thing to correct if you do it a tiny bit wrong :x - instead follow the rod to the rubber boot on the end, slide that bit off & you'll see a 13mm bolt, undo that then you'll be able to take the linkage off the box :wink:

As for special tools, a 14mm long reach 3/8 drive socket from a halfords socket set with an extension bar is a perfect clutch alignment tool :wink:

16v_paddy
19-08-2011, 20:25
Do it like I said & you're guaranteed to get every gear when you put it back together, doing it the other way is too much of a gamble for my liking

schakal
19-08-2011, 22:21
Get underneath the car and MARK the location of the gear selector rod and undo it.

No need to do this - horrible B**t**d fiddly c**t of a thing to correct if you do it a tiny bit wrong :x - instead follow the rod to the rubber boot on the end, slide that bit off & you'll see a 13mm bolt, undo that then you'll be able to take the linkage off the box :wink:

As for special tools, a 14mm long reach 3/8 drive socket from a halfords socket set with an extension bar is a perfect clutch alignment tool :wink:

I approve this post !! 8) 8)

Vandella
23-08-2011, 17:57
ah thanks fdor the handy tip!!! ive have been talikng to a freind and he has me worried about the flywheel as the clutch was slipping bad.. i dont like the words..it might need machining... what would this involve..which part the teeth? and is it an expensive job? cheaper than getting a new one? just so im prepared
Thanks all!!

fabulicious
23-08-2011, 22:23
Wait and see. You have to get to it first! Focus on doing this job safely. If you could get an engine lift it would be much better or the use of a ramp whereby you can support the gearbox.
It's all very easy to strip it down but putting it back together for someone who has never done one is a challenge.
A slipping clutch is more than likely the plate or disk and not the flywheel.

Wobba
23-08-2011, 23:31

No need to do this - horrible B**t**d fiddly c**t of a thing to correct if you do it a tiny bit wrong :x - instead follow the rod to the rubber boot on the end, slide that bit off & you'll see a 13mm bolt, undo that then you'll be able to take the linkage off the box :wink:

I was just about to say the same. Never touch the clevis bar!!! Nightmares will follow!!!

fabulicious
24-08-2011, 08:52

I was just about to say the same. Never touch the clevis bar!!! Nightmares will follow!!!

I am going to disagree with you's all on this one :P
It makes sense what your saying BUT if an engine or gearbox is coming off the car then unless you know EXACTLY where the mounts are positioned then the clevis bar will be out of alignment anyhow and need adjustment.
Just an observation!!!! :)

chip
24-08-2011, 10:59
ah thanks fdor the handy tip!!! ive have been talikng to a freind and he has me worried about the flywheel as the clutch was slipping bad.. i dont like the words..it might need machining... what would this involve..which part the teeth? and is it an expensive job? cheaper than getting a new one? just so im prepared
Thanks all!!

It might need surface grinding if its badly pitted or glazed.

cliokiz
24-08-2011, 16:31

I am going to disagree with you's all on this one :P
It makes sense what your saying BUT if an engine or gearbox is coming off the car then unless you know EXACTLY where the mounts are positioned then the clevis bar will be out of alignment anyhow and need adjustment.
Just an observation!!!! :)

Not true at all, and i'm speaking from experience.

DO NOT undo the gear linkage or loosen any bolts/nuts unless you are loosening the 13mm bolt under the rubber boot. This will enable you to slide the linkage off the gearbox and easily re-attach to the new one without any adjustment.

You don't need to adjust the gear linkage at all, even if you remove and re-fit the engine, it will be fine.

16v_paddy
24-08-2011, 21:17
Agree with the above, undoing the clevis bar will give more problems if the engine ends up sitting ever so slightly different back in the bay

Vandella
26-08-2011, 17:51
Hey Guys, thanks for all ur help! to close this subject off...it all went well and have a nice bitey clutch!! this also seems to have sorted what i thought was a tps problem...early stage of clutch problem..having looked at the old clutch..the thrust bearing was very crunchy and the pressure plate was smooth..nearly all way to the rivets in it.. a couple of vague indications where the grooves were! thanks again for everyones help n suggestions!
Vandella

fabulicious
26-08-2011, 22:07
phew..great to hear it went well 8) hope you lubed up that bearing well and good unlike me who took 3 attempts at getting it right :oops:

Vandella
27-08-2011, 16:24
lol, i did... not taking any chances!!!