PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cable diagram /The G.B end

schakal
14-08-2011, 18:45
I have lost my speedo after a vigorous gear change at speed a year ago.
Since than i have changed the gearbox and stuck the speedo cable back on hoping it would work . It has NOT :?
As the new gearbox i fitted on there had torx type fitment rather than the square type on the old boxes ,i swapped the plastic insert bit from the old box which i am thinking was a mistake as i now understand the torx style insert is supposed to work with a square cable end ??

Today i have pulled the instrument panel out and checked in first gear/rolling that the instrument end of the cable and seen it is not spinning
but once i pull the cable from gearbox end and spin by hand ,instrument panel end spins too which confirms the cable is not broken on the inside .

Obviously the problem lays in the gearbox end .
Anyone have a diagram showing internals of the speedo cable hole on the gearbox . So that i can try to make some sense as to how to fix this.

fabulicious
15-08-2011, 10:53
Will pics do?

schakal
15-08-2011, 18:22
Will pics do?

pics of what mate ?

I know what the plastic piece that the cable slots into ,i am after a pic/drawing of the bit the plastic connects inside the gearbox if you know what i mean ?

fabulicious
15-08-2011, 19:14
the speedo crown you mean :P

I have a pic but have to wait 24hours for my photobucket account to be re-activated :P

schakal
16-08-2011, 08:26
the speedo crown you mean :P

I have a pic but have to wait 24hours for my photobucket account to be re-activated :P

got suspended by PB ??
its all them ghey bum shex pics you put on there :D

Back on topic , where does the marked end of the plastic piece
connect to and how exactly does it get secured ?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/evrenfenci/speedocablehousing.gif

fabulicious
16-08-2011, 08:34
If you look closely at the crown there is a little ridge in the center of it that the plastic piece clips into. I have the crown loose in the toolbox somewhere so i'll try get a closer pic.

fabulicious
16-08-2011, 08:50
Sorry it actually just clips into the crown. Cliokiz i believe had aproblem once where by the crown disappeared into the gearbox and lost the speedo also :shock

with a flashlight you should be able to make out if it is still in there. The diff sits quite tight against it so really cannot see that crown moving. it is also in its own little housing within the gearbox.

fabulicious
16-08-2011, 08:54
http://www.gtt64.com/GTT64_article_13.html

schakal
16-08-2011, 09:25
thanks for the pic fabs :D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/evrenfenci/crown.jpg

am i right thinking the plastic piece that goes into the crown has male splines ?? iirc i cant recal a lot in terms of splines on the plastic bit i fitted on my gearbox ,which might be one of the reasons why i dont get it spinning .

Is the crown a push in fit in case i have not got one in there ?

fabulicious
16-08-2011, 11:28
yep the plastic bit has male splines.
as for the crown iirc i'm pretty sure there is something that holds it into it's little housing. alls i remember is that it doesnt just fall out of it's housing once you take the diff out.