PDA

View Full Version : gear box

Mattie
10-08-2005, 20:05
iv been told i need a new gear box....sounds like the bearins av gone in it :(

can ne 1 recomend ne specialits 2 get it reconditiond or has ne 1 got a recond or low milage 1 4 sale?

ne help will be much appriciated!

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 22:29
I've just had the full bearing set replaced in my box and a new clutch while I was there, came to £650 all in

Mattie
10-08-2005, 22:35
650 :shock: was that for taking out and putin bk in the gear box as well?......how much was the clutch as i need a ruff idea as 2 how much it wud cost just 2 recon my gear box?.....

also m8 u kno wen the bearins went wot kind of noises did ur car start makin? jus want 2 c if its same as mine as it might not be the bearings.

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 22:39
650 :shock: was that for taking out and putin bk in the gear box as well?......how much was the clutch as i need a ruff idea as 2 how much it wud cost just 2 recon my gear box?.....

also m8 u kno wen the bearins went wot kind of noises did ur car start makin? jus want 2 c if its same as mine as it might not be the bearings.

Yeah £650 drive in drive out job

Noise was like a brrrrr whhrrrrrrr meooowww

Was noisy when letting off the go pedal, kinda like worn wheel bearing, but it wasn't gears changed fine

big hp
10-08-2005, 22:49

Yeah £650 drive in drive out job

Noise was like a brrrrr whhrrrrrrr meooowww

Was noisy when letting off the go pedal, kinda like worn wheel bearing, but it wasn't gears changed fine

Love the description. :wink:

Mines making a whistleing sorta noise when accelerating and noisy wheel bearing style noise when I let off the go pedal. Will wait for a bit until it needs doing, Can put up with it being a bit noisy at the moment.

big hp
10-08-2005, 22:50
Oh and where was that done for £650?

Did you get a warranty?

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 22:52
Oh and where was that done for £650?

Did you get a warranty?

Err place local to me, the guy I always use.

Not sure about a warrenty, if it breaks he only lives round corner from me, I'll dump it on his drive till he fixes it :P

big hp
10-08-2005, 22:53
Was that a special price to you?

FlamingMonkey
10-08-2005, 23:16
Was that a special price to you?

Don't think so fella, I've used him since I had my valver when I lind his pockets withgold...lol, he rebuilt the engine in that for me, lives round the corner from me, and drinks in the same pub as me, all in all a convenient mechanic.

Lunner
10-08-2005, 23:38
I got a new casing for £400 labour, so take all out and out all back in, plus £150 for new casew, all plus vat ofc....block is a cunt tho, ****ing makes up shit, like split cv boot cus your car is lowered, ****ing hated lowered cars

Rajk
11-08-2005, 01:02
mine is making the same noise, I have a second box, how much do u reckon labour would be? DO you reckon it would help if I put thicker oil in it? just to prolong the life a bit? Is it a engine out job as I heard the RENO way is dropping the subframe and doing it that way? HOw long did it take for the change? So many questions I know, sorry!

Mattie
11-08-2005, 08:44
ye sounds like the same problem as mine.....gears change fine its just the bearings that r sqeeking and crunching!....mine makes noise while excelerating n not wen lettin off though lol...

iv been quoted 250 for fittin of a new gear box (not reno)...sed they cd do it in a day, so im guesin sumfin like 5 - 6hrs? dus that sound right?

good question!....is there anythin u can do 2 make it last longer or quiten the noise down cuz mines really loud!

Mattie
11-08-2005, 12:40
if i wack aload of new gear box oil in will it quiten the noise down?

FlamingMonkey
11-08-2005, 13:12
if i wack aload of new gear box oil in will it quiten the noise down?

Don't think so, mine had gearbox oil in a few months before it started going.

Daz
11-08-2005, 19:49
I'd get it sorted ASAP.

A drone soon turns into a clunk/bang and you find yer car won't move. :cry:

Mattie
11-08-2005, 20:59
ye its been in the garage all week :(

need 2 get the money 2 get it sorted! :cry:

Andyvalver
11-08-2005, 21:54
Unlucky fella. Do the clutch whilst its out. There £100 to buy :D

Mattie
11-08-2005, 21:59
luckily the clutch has already been dun, bout 2 yrs ago, b4 i bought it :D

hopefully it aint been thrashd 2 much since :? lol

fab
11-08-2005, 22:46
I heard once of people putting sawdust in Diffs to quiten them a little.seeing as your replacing the gearbox anyway..

Mattie
12-08-2005, 16:20
I heard once of people putting sawdust in Diffs to quiten them a little.seeing as your replacing the gearbox anyway..

lol i might actually try that if i do get a new 1...allthough i just took it 2 the loacal garage 2 get a 2nd opionion and it got stuck in revers.....tuk me bout 10 mins 2 get it out lol.....also wen i tryd reversin the car went bk then jumpd vilolently 4wards :shock:

Andyvalver
12-08-2005, 19:32

Check the clucth anyway mate. especially if your keeping it a while.
You dont want the engine coming out another time if can be helped :D

fab
12-08-2005, 20:16

2 years can be a long time for a clutch on a car like this.especially if you dont know the history.
If the gearbox needs to come out i'm afraid its more than likely the reno way and that means the subframe will need to come out.
The labour will be massive,circa 9 hours.lucky you have your mechanic mate nearby.

Mattie
13-08-2005, 15:38
2 years can be a long time for a clutch on a car like this.especially if you dont know the history.
If the gearbox needs to come out i'm afraid its more than likely the reno way and that means the subframe will need to come out.
The labour will be massive,circa 9 hours.lucky you have your mechanic mate nearby.[/quote]

ye forget takin it 2 reno!