PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension

andyleep
06-08-2011, 17:56
Im hoping to do my rear suspension tomorrow but haven't done it before. Is it fairly easy? When you take the torsion bar out do you just move the arms to the desired height and put the bar back in at the same angle? eg. mark a point on the bar at 12 o'clock, take it out, adjust the height and then reinsert the bar with the mark at 12 o'clock?! Or will the torsion bar have to be twisted so the mark is now at say 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock. Any advice would be appreciated and any pics would be awesome! Thanks guys

stevie_b
06-08-2011, 18:39
When you say 'do you rear suspension' do you mean change the dampers or just lower the height by means of adjusting the torsion bar? Dampers are straightforward - one of the top bolts can be a bit tricky to remove completely iirc as the petrol tank blocks it slightly, but it's not too bad. If you are just lowering the ride height then search on here for 'torsion' or something as there will be some good tips. Spray loads of WD40 in there now if you are going to do it tomorrow! I found the bolt into the end and tighten against an oversized socket around the bar was an easy way to pull it out, but others use a slide hammer.

andyleep
07-08-2011, 09:13
I'm actually going to higher the rear as it has been lowered and is a horrible ride! So yeh, taking the torsion bar out. I don't get what you mean with the oversized socket method? I don't have a slide hammer. Can you explain the socket method in more detail please buddy?! Thanks

jock
07-08-2011, 14:01
The socket has to be wider than the splines, you put the bolt through a washer then down middle of socket and into thread in end of torsion bar then it becomes a puller when you tighten bolt. What do you mean by horrible ride. . .

andyleep
07-08-2011, 17:28
Well, the back is basically sat on the bump stops so there is no rear suspension at all. Every tiny bump is the road gives the car a big shock!

jock
07-08-2011, 17:58
Yup that sounds horrible! if your cornering it ill pitch you off if you hit a bump. Lol

andyleep
07-08-2011, 20:27
Cheers Jock!! I haven't done it as I've been busy all day but I've just been testing your soclet method and it works a treat! After wd-40ing it for a couple of weeks, a few easy turns on the bolt in the socket and it's started to come out a few mm. Was more difficult to get the wheel bolts undone! lol. Just a couple of queries tho - when the bar is out as far as the socket is deep, will it then just slide out by hand or will it still need a lot of force? And when it comes to putting it back in, is it just a case of hitting it in - a rubber mallet maybe?!!!

stevie_b
08-08-2011, 08:14
Yes, once the splines are free it will just slide out 'by hand' - the splined part is only the first inch or so. As for putting it back in, just make sure the splines are properly lined up (and grease it all well to prevent it seizing up in future) and then tap it home with a hammer.

jock
08-08-2011, 14:16
1 spline = 3mm height

good starting point:
16v ride height setting, distance X between shock absorber mounting point centres 372mm. (when fitting new bars, all torsion effects removed.)

andyleep
12-08-2011, 21:27
Do you have to remove the rear shocks to do this?

andyleep
13-08-2011, 18:58
No you don't! lol. I didn't realise you had to remove both torsion bars to adjust the height - thought you did one side at a time. All sorted now. Happy days