PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic lifters advice

James5
04-08-2011, 10:20
Ok I have that horrible tick tick tick tick noise which is coming from the head so I assume a stuck hydraulic lifter or lifter's.

Now I know the way to do them is cambelt off, cam cover off, cam carrier's out and put the cam's to one side.

My question is how do I tell which hydraulic lifter or lifter's is knackered? and what is the best way to prime the new lifters?? Also is there a certain way they need to be fitted? for example the hole does it need to be facing a certain point??

I have spare lifters and as the set in the car are not that old I am not wanting to buy a full set.

Cheers for any advice

chip
04-08-2011, 10:51
Ive never found any definitive way to tell a good lifter from a bad one other than to listen to the engine running and try and hear where the noise is coming from.

Priming them is a waste of time IMHO, just clean them out with petrol and refit them and they pump up pretty quickly anyway.

Squeak
04-08-2011, 12:25
or just buy a new set off ebay for 62.50

They are the ones i used and they were fine.

chip
04-08-2011, 12:37

Its certainly a cheap way of shutting it up for a while, just obviously dont expect them to last 100K miles like a genuine INA set will.

James5
04-08-2011, 12:40

That's what these are only done 200 miles max :( I will buy a new set if I have to but I am wanting to save them if I can. I hear they can be taken / popped apart? I am wondering if a bit of dirt has got into some as the engine has been apart so many times now as careful as I was some dirt may have got in.

chip
04-08-2011, 12:51
Buy cheap, buy twice, welcome to the real world.

chip
04-08-2011, 12:53
Ps

Some of the cheap ones last ok, some dont, thats why they are cheap, no proper quality control, so its a lottery.

So when someone replies going "Ive used a cheap set and they are fine after 5K miles" its cause they got lucky which doesnt mean you will too.

Even if you get all "good" ones they still dont last like the genuine ones.

James5
04-08-2011, 13:10
I'll bite the bullett and buy genuine Renault one's this time, but I am intrigued into takeing them apart so I will order the new but take the old ones apart just to have a look at the insides :D

Wobba
04-08-2011, 13:16

That's what these are only done 200 miles max :( I will buy a new set if I have to but I am wanting to save them if I can. I hear they can be taken / popped apart? I am wondering if a bit of dirt has got into some as the engine has been apart so many times now as careful as I was some dirt may have got in.

What oil are you using? Are you sure there is no other issue?

chip
04-08-2011, 13:17
I'll bite the bullett and buy genuine Renault one's this time, but I am intrigued into takeing them apart so I will order the new but take the old ones apart just to have a look at the insides :D

Brace yourself when you ask for a price.

Around 400 quid IIRC

James5
04-08-2011, 13:20

What oil are you using? Are you sure there is no other issue?

Just using comma 10w 40, with OE filter

James5
04-08-2011, 13:23

Around 400 quid IIRC

:shock: I will call Renault in a bit and see if I can get discount for being a regular :lol:

defo going to pop my spare 16 apart and see what condition they are

cliokiz
04-08-2011, 17:31
Speak to Renault Parts Direct.

You get a discount with them if you're a member on Clio16valver.

MatBrown
04-08-2011, 18:17

Around 400 quid IIRC

£452 at RPD.

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1573&category_id=121&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

MAXIBOY
04-08-2011, 19:19
arrow make great uprated followers for the clio not sure on price as i cant remember

James5
05-08-2011, 10:11
Anyone used solid lifters??

cliokiz
05-08-2011, 10:35

Around 400 quid IIRC

£452 at RPD.

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1573&category_id=121&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Fork a duck. They aren't cheap!

fabulicious
05-08-2011, 10:47
If your engine is sitting idle for any number of days weeks years the lifters are gonna tap until the oil pressure gets the oil up to them.They may even tap if you have low oil levels as mine did.
I fitted a set from eBay last year and so far so good. Thats even after a 500 mile road trip to doni and a few laps to boot.
Yes I'd prefer OE or other proven variation but that money would be better spent on a new gearbox if you ask me.
They certainly feel a lot less quality than the INA but these lifter's are hydraulic and once the oil is in them happy days not tappy ones :D

And if someone comes back next year and brings this topic up again I bet I'll be saying the same again. :wink:

MAXIBOY
05-08-2011, 12:13
Anyone used solid lifters??

yes a few but usually only with cams that hydraulics cant cope with.. as there not cheap take a load of setting up and will need continually adjustments with solid shims..

chip
05-08-2011, 13:39
Solids wont fair well on standard cams, you can use them (have done so myself in fact) but you have to accept they will need reshimming more often than on the proper profile cams and they will also rattle on hydraulic cams, this is because there isnt the gentle initial ramp to take up tolerance.