PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs

Willy1
03-08-2011, 23:22
Hi there!

My MOT failed due to front coil springs being incomplete. I think the previous owner(s) must have cut the originals down to size. So I was going to replace them with some lowering springs but just needed some advice as to what size to get. My Willy 1 has it's original wheels.

I'm not too fussed about ride quality but I am trying to avoid getting the front end lower than the back end. Unfortunately I am unaware of any mods to the rear but certainly there were no MOT failures - I have to assume that the back end is original. Ideally I want the Willy 1 sitting level.

Say that it ends up being too low, does anyone know of any garages near Milton Keynes that can lower the back end to level it out? I'm assuming there'll be some complications with lowering the rear - there was with my Pug a few years back.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

jock
03-08-2011, 23:50
They are known to break, I bought second hand ones after mot fail and they broke as well a couple years later so I splashed out for new ones and had no probs since. Willy springs are marked with a couple of white paint blobs. I believe some people use 172 springs as they are much the same but slightly shorter. Willy suspension in good nick is pretty good to start with so I wouldnt mess with it unless you have a good reason.

jock
04-08-2011, 03:39
:-) Done a quick search and 172 cup springs have 1 white and 1 yellow dot.

Wobba
04-08-2011, 12:20
Lowering the rear is easy and usually problem free unless the torsion bar is seized.

andyleep
04-08-2011, 17:20
I NEED to raise the rear of mine! Any hints/tips or guides? I've heard some stories about having trouble getting the rear torsion bar back in?!