PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, but Oldie , old skool Derby Renaultphile

PaulB
01-08-2011, 23:09
Good evening all,
I am a newbie to your site and was steered this way via Northy, least I could after slowing him down at Donington last week :D ..
One of the older generation and after spending 22 years working inside the Renault UK network I finally broke free to spread my wings and abuse my owncars at will :wink:
previously worked on 5GTT cup cars,
Worked on 2 Clio Cup cars when they were new ,hundreds of 5GTTurbos and many many other , also worked on a wide range of race cars from track prepped to Ex F1 cars, make your ear's bleed and heart rate rise... should be LAW..
Bit of a trackday addict so maybe see you guys about .
Keep smiling
Paul B.

cliokiz
02-08-2011, 10:08
Welcome!

Might be worth poking your nose in over at clio16valver.co.uk as well, loads of turbo and throttle body nutcases over there!

PaulB
02-08-2011, 21:05
Welcome!

Might be worth poking your nose in over at clio16valver.co.uk as well, loads of turbo and throttle body nutcases over there!

not into Efi and throttle bodies just yet,,, good old 26mm venturi carb for the WIN. :D ... but thanks for the link

Wobba
04-08-2011, 13:56
Welcome :)

northy
04-08-2011, 21:37
so u worked on cup cars, u learn something new everyday?

Can u do a small post with what info u can remember for me. I love my history.

Were u working for a team / driver - what year and cars did u prep ?

Dont worry about donny mate - my pleasure to be behind u x

PaulB
04-08-2011, 22:49
I worked for a race prep company, Zul Racing...
they run 2 cars for 2 brothers, David and Ian Shaw... approx 1992/3

we run them for 2 seasons and I remember very well indeed working hard on them, lol, same shape as you drive, turned up as road cars with a crate of "RenaultSport" bits and a photocopied booklet of what to fit where, what you are allowed to remove and what's been homologated just for race only.(race clutch, exhaust,suspension)
best bits... on slicks they were ace to drive flat chat through craners,LOL
worst bits, 2nd gear,,, even with fresh oil every meeting,slick50 etc,,, lucky to get 3 race meeting's out of them...remember being challenged at Donny that we couldn't change the box, in the 1 hour break between qualifying and the first race... glad to say we did it with 5 minutes to spare, although it was about 2001 before I could feel my fingers again, a bit hot.
Race pads were supplied and checked to make sure you were using ONLY what they issued, good old rule on ECU's meant if you thought someone had tampered "outside" the law's given you could ask for their ECU and swap yours..good rule stopped folks investing in trick ecu's..
I also know everyone wanted a FISH ECU , and harlow motorsports ECU's..
engine wise they were pretty bullet proof, lots of luvverly Elf oil was thrown about like cheap champagne so it kept them tip top..
I know we tried allsorts to get more life out the tyres but 1 race and the next meets qualifying was about your lot on slicks..
Michelin wets, AWESOME tyres...but in a wet race , we usually changed both doors on each car, LOL

16v_paddy
04-08-2011, 23:11
Somebody tell wobba we don't need his wobbanory stories any more now this guy is here :lol:

I've got a new found respect for racing drivers now as I know they take craner curves flat out but I'd never been on track at donny before (as a driver or passenger) but the 1st time round that bit scared me quite a bit :oops: takes some balls to go flat out there on slicks, nevermind normal tyres :shock:

northy
08-08-2011, 21:25
I worked for a race prep company, Zul Racing...
they run 2 cars for 2 brothers, David and Ian Shaw... approx 1992/3

we run them for 2 seasons and I remember very well indeed working hard on them, lol, same shape as you drive, turned up as road cars with a crate of "RenaultSport" bits and a photocopied booklet of what to fit where, what you are allowed to remove and what's been homologated just for race only.(race clutch, exhaust,suspension)
best bits... on slicks they were ace to drive flat chat through craners,LOL
worst bits, 2nd gear,,, even with fresh oil every meeting,slick50 etc,,, lucky to get 3 race meeting's out of them...remember being challenged at Donny that we couldn't change the box, in the 1 hour break between qualifying and the first race... glad to say we did it with 5 minutes to spare, although it was about 2001 before I could feel my fingers again, a bit hot.
Race pads were supplied and checked to make sure you were using ONLY what they issued, good old rule on ECU's meant if you thought someone had tampered "outside" the law's given you could ask for their ECU and swap yours..good rule stopped folks investing in trick ecu's..
I also know everyone wanted a FISH ECU , and harlow motorsports ECU's..
engine wise they were pretty bullet proof, lots of luvverly Elf oil was thrown about like cheap champagne so it kept them tip top..
I know we tried allsorts to get more life out the tyres but 1 race and the next meets qualifying was about your lot on slicks..
Michelin wets, AWESOME tyres...but in a wet race , we usually changed both doors on each car, LOL

bloody hell, my box has done 5 years ok, but i know that when John Wadsworth went to Monaco in 91, he did get stuck in 3rd.
My car is now on 4000miles.

At £145+vat a slick i want more than one race out of them.

I managed flat in 4th down craners - great set of corners.

I have a picture of shaws car i think - will post it up tomorrow

PaulB
08-08-2011, 21:59
The Shaw brothers had silver cars, one had orange mirror caps, the other yellow... just so we knew which one to time off the pit wall ..

the old boxes had a lot of stick during practice, quali and race's...not surprising they didnt with the "abuse" they took...

slicks then were £60 each, subsidised by Renault off the nice Michelin truck that turned up at every meet...

northy
08-08-2011, 22:24
£60 each - i will take 10 x !!!!

PaulB
08-08-2011, 22:44
£60 each - i will take 10 x !!!!

LOL, remember , this was back in the old days... 91/92..
LOL

2 live
01-11-2011, 10:47
Somebody tell wobba we don't need his wobbanory stories any more now this guy is here :lol:

I've got a new found respect for racing drivers now as I know they take craner curves flat out but I'd never been on track at donny before (as a driver or passenger) but the 1st time round that bit scared me quite a bit :oops: takes some balls to go flat out there on slicks, nevermind normal tyres :shock:

flat thru craners ?? thought that was a must tbh....even on pe2s ;)