PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - Brakes Question

BRUN
10-08-2005, 18:21
when i was doing the brakes on my car, one of the guide nuts?....on the caliper carrier fell out

i presume this isnt normal ?

ill order new ones tomorrow if it isnt

Lunner
10-08-2005, 18:23
You have the guide pins which slide up and down in the caliper, and then you have the little bolts (will have had new ones) that bolt into the top, the pins slide up and down and are only held on place, when the caliper is off the car by rubber dust seals, it is quite normal for these to slide off, grease it up and put it back in, and reseal the dust seal.

Or do i have the wrong part?

BRUN
10-08-2005, 18:31
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/mbrunskill/caliper.jpg

BRUN
10-08-2005, 18:33
so basically, the only thing holding the caliper on, is the fact you have 2 pads and a disc in between it ?

and it cant move up or down because of those guide bolts, doesnt seem that safe to me lol

Lunner
10-08-2005, 19:25
The caliper sits inside the caliper carrier, so can't move outside the limites of this, and it can't move up or down becasue the guide pins don't move out of the holders.

teh part you ahev arrowed is refered to as the guide pin, and yes it is normal for it to slide out, its ment to, as i said, clean it up, re greasee it wiht some multi purpose grease and stick it back in and re seal the dust covers

Lunner
10-08-2005, 19:27
Has to move from side to side, in the direction of the piston, thats the way it works

BRUN
11-08-2005, 00:03
side to side i can imagine, but surely the force of the disc its stopping puts stress on those guide pins, they dont look strong enough for the job

quite clearly they are, but it just puzzles me, i thought it would be more of a solid thing