PDA

View Full Version : Rich idle

James5
27-07-2011, 08:39
I am having a slight problem at the moment in that I am getting a rich idle, when I first turn the car on afr's show as a nice 14.7-14.9 for say the first 10secs then they start to go really rich and stay around 10.9-11.1 with the car sometime wanting to stall due to the rich mixture. Can anyone shed any light on this :?: I am not running the OE lambda sensor at present and am thinking this could be to do with that so i need to get my downpipe off and another bung welded on as my AEM wideband kit unfortunalty can't give off a wideband and narrowband signal at the sametime it's one or the other unfortunatly.

Could this be down to the lack of narrowband lambda? what else can cause a rich idle?

James5
27-07-2011, 10:44
Anyone ever tried one of these to convert signal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370511245221&category=36631&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Anders
27-07-2011, 11:40
think you answered your own question there...

defo worth a go just putting the OE lamba back in and check if that gives you better results..would help eliminate stuff for sure. Sounds like the issue is when it goes from open loop into the closed loop as things get upto temp.

you still running OE ECU or do you have a Motec, Gems etc... if so have you played with the settings at all?

James5
27-07-2011, 11:56
think you answered your own question there...

defo worth a go just putting the OE lamba back in and check if that gives you better results..would help eliminate stuff for sure. Sounds like the issue is when it goes from open loop into the closed loop as things get upto temp.

you still running OE ECU or do you have a Motec, Gems etc... if so have you played with the settings at all?

Still running the OE Phase 1 ECU with Fastchips High boost chip, can;t afford standalone yet unfortunatly.

Going to try the ole wideband to narrowband converter first as getting the turbo downpipe of on the 5 is a pain in the arse.

Shame I can't keep it in open loop.

chip
27-07-2011, 17:22
What wideband do you have?

Many of them have a simulated narrowband output you could use anyway.

James5
27-07-2011, 18:17
What wideband do you have?

Many of them have a simulated narrowband output you could use anyway.

AEM UEGO wideband kit, it does allow narrowband but not at the same time as a wideband signal unfortunatly :(

jay s
27-07-2011, 19:24
i have a AEM UEGO wideband and if you set it to P4 it will simulate a narrrow band sensor (0-1v) while still displaying a wideband reading on the gauge :D

James5
27-07-2011, 22:55
i have a AEM UEGO wideband and if you set it to P4 it will simulate a narrrow band sensor (0-1v) while still displaying a wideband reading on the gauge :D

:lol: Just about to type that as just literally wired it up this eve, fingers crossed when I use the car tomoz it works :D

James5
28-07-2011, 08:21
Well turning the AEM to Po4 actually worked AFR's on idle are now not rich but to lean 16-17, I think this is down to the injectors being 802 even though that's what supposed to be with this ecu I think I need the 803 injectors this will prob sort out the idle and allow me to run more than 8psi on a high boost chip, I can run more than 8psi the problem is afr's @ WOT are dangerous over 8psi

James5
06-08-2011, 16:25
OK guy's I am still having problem's any advice?

Ok, I am having a problem with my f7p turbo. Bascially my car idles fine for about 10 sec's then she dies (afr's lean right out)this cpuld be down to faulty ISCV but I have other fueling probems so think it's all related . Also when driving the AFR's @ WOT have got worse and worse. I was seeing 12.1 @ WOT with 15psi for a few day's, then they leaned right out to 13.8 and some popping and banging due to running way to lean, so I turned boost down 8psi and I saw 12.2afr's @ WOT. Then a couple of days later this tuned into 13.8+ afr's. Car is now @ present 4psi not done any WOT test's as it's bogging / hesitating and generally running crap. My first thought was not enough fuel, so I checked all pipes for blockages, checked fuel filter and removed the filter for now and checked the flow to the rail and all good, seeing 3bar to fuel rail on the adjustable reg gauge. The fuel lines from the tank are all new to the rail and return are also new, I am using a Walbro 255 (GSL392) external pump which should be more than enough for what I need.

I have since changed the fuel pump for a bosch one and the car is doing the same so rules out faulty pump, I have tried different injectors new 803's and no change still, even tried OE fpr and another rail aswell and again no change. I am really stuck as to what the problem could be any help / advice please.

Cheers James

jay s
06-08-2011, 21:33
Try another High Boost (or low boost) chip if possible to see if it makes any difference.

James5
07-08-2011, 12:36
Try another High Boost (or low boost) chip if possible to see if it makes any difference.

Not able to try a spare chip but I do have a standard phase 1 ECU I could try just to see if it runs better with it

James5
09-08-2011, 08:07
Bit of an update swapping TB due to a dogey TPS has solved the crap idle , bogging and hesitation on idle and general driving.

Just need to increase AFR's for WOT driving now, so the Walbro 255 is going back on :D

tutuur
09-08-2011, 08:48
Congrats! Another one off the sh*t list :P
What's WOT?

James5
09-08-2011, 08:54
Congrats! Another one off the sh*t list :P
What's WOT?

Wide Open Throttle

It was nice to drive it just a shame still can't drive on boost, I am also back with the icv in place as it's nice to start the car 1st time and it idles. I can get used to the high idle after going over 60mph or just turn the car off and back on again and it goes back 950-1000rpm's

tutuur
09-08-2011, 11:34
Same with my f7r r9. When flooring it so the engine is very hot it gives a good bang too when i turn off & on :D

James5
24-08-2011, 14:21
Ok I am still having the rich idle problem first 10secs the car is perfect afr's I assume running in a closed loop circuit, if I plug lambda in the car runs mega lean and dies, does this with new OE lambda and the AEM one.

Is it possible some one can access my chip and just run it in closed loop for idle for me :D