PDA

View Full Version : Williams Clio PPC £999 Challenge

Flan
21-07-2011, 10:54
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/999-challenge/

Every year I enter this (i have too much free time :lol: )… it’s a good laugh! 2009 I bought a smashed 200sx but missed the final as they changed the dates. They ran it at PPC in the park but messed up the timing. They then re ran it but I was away. My Dad was joint 1st with his 200sx powered MX5

Last year I bought a damaged Celica GT4 and won it… this year needs to be the same ;)

So keeping in the clio spirit I thought id start with this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-RENAULT-CLIO-16V-BLACK-/280711929157?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item415bbc1d45

Doner car £300 (mates rates) ;)
MOT £40
So £660 to spend…..

But there is serious compotition so what do you think…..

Turbo the 1.8 and risk it
Rwd it (front engine or MR)
Or 4wd it….

Anyone wanna help?? ;)

The event it 1/4 mile time added to a circuit time (approx 44seconds combined)

so it needs to be nippy! the circuit is tight cones on tarmac :wink:

chip
21-07-2011, 11:58
Im not convinced you will be able to make a clio competitive against a 200sx powered mx5 for under a grand.

Or are you intending to spend a few grand and just claim you didnt?

Flan
21-07-2011, 12:36
No strictly by the rules no cheating.... its only a fun thing so your only cheating yourself... plus its pretty obvious if you have spent much more.

you can sell parts of the car to the value of £250 so you could buy a doner car (say 200sx) sell the interior, suspension, bodywork...ect and put it towards the build so in theory we can spend £950 on the car (if we make £250 on the bits)

The MX5 is now long gone. other competing cars this year are here
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=44
v6 powered MR2 should be quick
2.3 saab turbo powered E30 bmw should be fun :lol:

chip
21-07-2011, 12:50
Saab powered E30 sounds ideal, thats probably the route I would go down.

Ive had in excess of 400bhp out of my 205 quid saab engine with no expensive changes other than the turbo itself.

Its the ideal power plant providing its in something (like an e30) where it sits fairly well back as its a bit on the heavy side.

SO much cheaper than anything jap of similar capability though.

chip
21-07-2011, 12:52
PS

turbo'd standard 2 litre megane lump on megaquirt is probably your best option for a cheap 200bhp+ conversion in the clio.
Let me know if you require any help with mapping if you do go down a route like that, would do it FOC cause its something that interests me.

Flan
21-07-2011, 15:17
Cheers dude, lots of people have started looking at these saab lumps.

Last year a chap had a std 9000 but with a JCB turbo, big injectors (std intercooler but the ends converted to metal) it was like 500+bhp!

can you use the stock ecu's on these and tweek the std map.

one in a clio would be cool or mount it MR :wink: :D

chip
21-07-2011, 15:33
I have used the standard ECU on my MR saab powered nova, you can put new software onto it that is remappable.

Their potential is enormous power wise but they are a bit heavy for a FWD project IMHO, I wouldnt want one in the front of a clio and still expect to make it round corners well put it like that!

Flan
22-07-2011, 12:47
Cool. I think the Saab lump in the Clio Is the plan.

Any ideas which one is best tO get, I know the electronics changed at some point? Some came with a td04 I think?

chip
23-07-2011, 21:52
You want a B204 or B234 engine mate, with Trionic T5 management.

For mounting rear engine I would advice using a VX220 rear subframe (wish I had done my nova that way, it would handle a lot better but they were around ten years ago!) and use an F23 vauxhall gearbox as you can use it with the VX shifter then, working out linkages on rear mounted gearboxes can be a pain so its well worth just using something that already works!