PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake cables

ab001
10-07-2011, 21:48
Did a search but can't confirm a part number.

Spent quite some time fitting new front brake discs and pads yesterday and she decided to thank me by snapping the O/S/F side of the handbrake cables as I parked up on my Mum's drive today. "What more you want!"

So I'm after a pair of handbrake cables for a Williams 3 (does have ABS). Dialogy's page says:

77 00 802 686 CABLE (ABS)

Does ABS actually make a difference / is that right?

Genuine parts seem expensive at £41:

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=1263&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I'd try and source a pair from GSF but their new website requires a NASA pilot license to operate. But if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

cliokiz
10-07-2011, 23:34
ABS doesn't make a difference to which cables you need. Just get motor factor cables, they do the job nicely.

ab001
11-07-2011, 10:31
Thanks mate - didn't think there would be a difference because ABS or not they're just going to the little levers on the calipers. I'll get them ordered from my local motor factors.

ab001
14-07-2011, 10:59
Did it - but what a nightmare!

The metal collar that goes into the caliper on the OSR had been glued into the caliper... I was pounding on that thing with a lump hammer with the same amount of force I'd use if I was trying to destroy it. Like, "I don't care if the caliper cracks, you're coming off!" Finally got the last of it out by repeatedly hammering in a screwdriver and bending it out. The other side came out with a quick tap.

When I finally got to adjusting the cables at the handbrake it was dark and late and I was struggling to set tension with the lock nut backed off. The ratchet spanner would grip but the adjuster nut just didn't seem to hold. There's a lot of thread and not much clearance so I was there turning it for a good while. Turns out it's an 8mm thread but someone had decided to use a 10mm nut. There was just enough rust and grime to give the impression it was doing up. Gah!

For anyone attempting, here's what I learned:

Heatshield was difficult without an 11mm deep socket for the tin nuts. I went and bought one from Halfords but they only had 3/8 drive and I would have wanted 1/4 because you only really need the handle driver.

The angle pushing the cables through is critical - need to push and jiggle with the cable high up. Send the metal cable through first so you can see where it's coming out.

Careful if you hulk out and just yank the cables to free them - the metal shielding fails like a big spring sending elbows, head, and fingers into the nearest, sharpest, rustiest part of the floorpan.

Wobba
14-07-2011, 12:00
Well done :) I've done a few. Can be a tad tricky as clearance is a pain if you don't have the heatshield off completely.