PDA

View Full Version : Limited slip diff?

Lee b
08-07-2011, 16:18
Quick question for the boffins, does a willi have a limited slip diff, or are they available
Cheers

chip
08-07-2011, 17:42
No it doesnt.

Yes they are available, they are quite expensive though and require the fitting of the final drive etc. (1K ish)

Tommo
08-07-2011, 17:43
Quick question for the boffins, does a willi have a limited slip diff, or are they available
Cheers

Gripper do one, not cheap though

chip
08-07-2011, 19:14
Cheers

Gripper do one, not cheap though

Quaiffe do an ATB one too, which is far nicer for a road car.

Either are great for trackdays though.

Lee b
08-07-2011, 19:20
Thanks guys that answers the question then
Cheers

zmaster2k
08-07-2011, 20:55
I dint understand the difference? Somebody care to explain....?

I know my mates integra has one and it's pretty savage in the corners!

chip
10-07-2011, 10:45
Platae diffs aim to limit the speed differential between the two wheels, ATB diffs aim to distribute the power in proportion to the grip available.

In a low grip environment (gravel rally stage for example) an ATB type diff will normally struggle to work well (although still miles better than an open diff), however for a road car they are fantastic as they dont cause any issues at all with parrelel parking etc

Plate type diffs are a sod for low speed manouvering as it involves a big speed differential between the wheels which the diff is trying to work against, but they are brilliant in a low grip environment and they work well on track. You can get them more road friendly by adjusting them to have less effect, but then you limit their usefullness the rest of the time too and at that stage IME you are better going ATB

So to summarise (and TBH over simplify a bit but its a good rule of thumb):
Rally : plate diff
Trackday : ATB diff / plate diff
Road : ATB diff

Honda is of the ATB type, the one in our civic vti works superbly well, cant wait to get it in the clio TBH but got a couple of other projects to finish first!

robi1000
10-07-2011, 12:56
Great explanation! :thumbsup:

zmaster2k
11-07-2011, 22:44
Cock on mate :-) like that!