PDA

View Full Version : Self repair to gearbox or upgrade options.

Wobba
21-06-2011, 12:36
Hi. Never touched a gearbox internals before. Can they be repaired/serviced easily or do I need special tools?

I need to get the diff out as I think one of the spider gears is broken slightly and it needs to go back to Gripper Diffs.

Also, can I replace the JC5 with a stronger box from anywhere? Preferably with a built in diff.

cliokongen
21-06-2011, 13:05
Why not let Gripper do it - as i remember they were not that expensive in regards to stripping, cleaning, rebuilding etc.

Michael

2 live
21-06-2011, 13:13
most boxes have a built in diff mate ;) unless its rwd lol.

an adapter plate could be made up to aid you in your box woes. i know back in the day the ford boys used to use the 1800 td box purely for the lsd. im sure a few vag boxes will have lsd as std. i personally would have thought that this route would be cheaper and more reliable than a jb/jc box with lsd fitted.

there used to be loads of adapter plates made for 1 fitment or another, but most seem to be rwd/awd. essex v6 into land rovers etc.

Wobba
21-06-2011, 13:17
Why not let Gripper do it - as i remember they were not that expensive in regards to stripping, cleaning, rebuilding etc.

Michael

I will probably do that and let them sort the whole gearbox.

I am thinking of a stronger option though as well.

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/info.html may be an option? Anyone used them?

Yea, lol 2 live maybe I should have worded better, not thinking straight today as I feel ill :(

Not sure how adapter plates work?

chip
21-06-2011, 13:18
Im using a honda gearbox with LSD in my clio as im so ****ed off with constantly breaking the clio boxes, done about 8 of them in total now, although the latest 172 one has had up better than the previous valver ones at least.

Im also using the honda engine though as once I have fitted the gearbox and made the shafts etc it would be silly to put a crappy renault engine back in it, lol

chip
21-06-2011, 13:20
Adaptor plate bolts to the engine, then to the gearbox, needs to be very accurately machined to make sure that the gearbox and crank are in perfect alignment.

You'll also need a custom clutch and possibly flywheel (depends on the spacing) to do it.

TBH though I see no point in doing it on an adpator plate, just change the engine for something better too while you are at it!

Wobba
21-06-2011, 14:04
Jon @ Gripper has quoted £150+VAT for a box rebuild plus parts. The same again for the diff.

I enquired about fitting a different final drive as well. They have three types for the JC5, one tops out at 90 mph... :lol:

Wobba
21-06-2011, 14:30
Interestingly Jon said if I wanted to be sure the driveshaft is the correct length and not causing the issue I can jack the front up, wheel off, jack the wishbone up so as to compress the suspension to normal operating level or further to simulate going round a bend, undo the driveshaft nut and check I have about 5mm play. If not and its solid in the tripod joint diff cup in the gearbox, that will cause vibration and a regular knocking noise/feel,

2 live
21-06-2011, 15:46
Adaptor plate bolts to the engine, then to the gearbox, needs to be very accurately machined to make sure that the gearbox and crank are in perfect alignment.

You'll also need a custom clutch and possibly flywheel (depends on the spacing) to do it.

TBH though I see no point in doing it on an adpator plate, just change the engine for something better too while you are at it!

hmmm. the boxes with adapter plates iv experienced in the past have used oe flywheels and clutches for the engine fitted. ford v6 block to landy box, uses ford v6 flywheel and clutch.

chip
21-06-2011, 16:05

hmmm. the boxes with adapter plates iv experienced in the past have used oe flywheels and clutches for the engine fitted. ford v6 block to landy box, uses ford v6 flywheel and clutch.

You can only do that if you are lucky enough that the box you are fitting has the same splines in it as the original one from the engine, so for example my vauxhall vx220 box on my saab turbo engine its not a problem but if you try and put a ford box on the same engine you will need a different clutch.
sometimes you can use the cover from the donor engine and the plate from the donor gearbox.