PDA

View Full Version : MOT help please.

Kingscott
20-06-2011, 10:04
Hi

Ive just taken the car in now for its re-test, its failed on high CO again after ive fitted a new Lambda sensor on both fast and natural idle.

The readings are as follows:

1st fast <=0.3% my reading 0.71%
2nd fast <=0.3% my reading 0.68%
Natural idle <=0.5% my reading 0.64%

Are there any adjustments/tuning on the williams lump? does this look like my cat is shot?? all other readings are OK.

Also, how the hell do I adjust my headlights? the in car adjuster is broken, well at least it does nothing to the beam when moved??

Please please any advice would be great.

Many thanks

Adam.

northy
20-06-2011, 10:45
is the car nice and hot when your taking it in for test?

Kingscott
20-06-2011, 11:14
Yes mate very hot, fan kicking in.

Had a price for a new cat for 72 quid inc vat. I think this is my next step, I just dont know what else to do.

Also ive just discovered that some idiot previous owner has chopped the adjustment cable to the offside lamp, its flapping all over the place.

Nightmare I could cry.

stevie_b
20-06-2011, 11:38
I removed the headlight adjuster cable from my car for weight saving. You should still be able to adjust the angle by manually turning the screw on the headlight as opposed to being able to do it whilst sitting inside the car with the adjuster dial?

Kingscott
20-06-2011, 12:01
Hi mate

Yes thats right mate, but the actual adjuster is missing therefore there is no spring resistance for it to work against. :( so no matter where I adjust it, it has loads of play.

northy
20-06-2011, 12:50
can u nut and bolt it fixed so it doesnt move around ?

Kingscott
20-06-2011, 12:58
Ive fixed it using a DIY spring to act as resistance.

NOW Im furious, the garage wont adjust them due to the fact they say the headlight needs to come out and they will charge me, I told them I can reach it myself ok if they let me use the machine with there fitter, but they wont let me in the fitting bay to do it because of INSURANCE reasons!!!!!

I work at a flipping power station, I'm sure ill be ok in a car workshop with a plastic screw in KNOB!!! agrh.

I know why it is its because I asked him to cover my seat when I first went there because he was going to get in the car with dirty overalls...

I could swear.

Really winds me up as a DIY mechanic when garages rip your eyes out over stupid things like headlight adjustment and changing over tyres because they know fully well most people don't have the equipment at home... n*bs.

northy
20-06-2011, 13:41
why does it need to come out, how can they adjust it on the machine if its not on the car??? guess!

just turn the black adjuster knob, the knobs.

stevie_b
20-06-2011, 15:06
You need to change MOT tester! I've moved but now drive quite a long way to the bloke I have been going to for years as we both have a good look around the car whilst it is in the air and if there is anything I want to adjust I just borrow a spanner out of one of his cabinets and do it there and then.

Wobba
20-06-2011, 17:28
Hahahahaha!!! ****ing mechanics. Get Mat Brown to send you the bit on the end of the hydraulic lines that plugs in to stop it flapping about, or reinstall the whole lot.

JamieG
20-06-2011, 18:51
If you need a cat, you can borrow mine :)

2 live
20-06-2011, 20:54
Hahahahaha!!! f***king mechanics. Get Mat Brown to send you the bit on the end of the hydraulic lines that plugs in to stop it flapping about, or reinstall the whole lot.

once theyve broke tho mate they are fukt. all the liquid escapes and the adjuster(in car) will no worky.

remember tho mate, they can only re-test the car on previous failures, sooooooo.....if you can borrow a headlight with adjuster on, they can only re-test it on that ;) and of course the emmissions. get another cat borrowed, preferably a genuine one as the non oe ones are generally shite, fire it down for the retest on headlight and emmissions and bobs your mums bro.

Wobba
20-06-2011, 21:57
Hahahahaha!!! f***king mechanics. Get Mat Brown to send you the bit on the end of the hydraulic lines that plugs in to stop it flapping about, or reinstall the whole lot.

once theyve broke tho mate they are fukt. all the liquid escapes and the adjuster(in car) will no worky.

remember tho mate, they can only re-test the car on previous failures, sooooooo.....if you can borrow a headlight with adjuster on, they can only re-test it on that ;) and of course the emmissions. get another cat borrowed, preferably a genuine one as the non oe ones are generally shite, fire it down for the retest on headlight and emmissions and bobs your mums bro.

Yea I know, but you can reinstall it if you have the complete unit with unbroken pipes.