PDA

View Full Version : God Love the Clay Bar

Coops
19-06-2011, 21:26
After Mallory park i left the turbo uncovered out the back of my pad as the weathers been good and i've been too lazy to wash and recover it............big mistake!

came to it saturday afternoon and noticed it looked like every upwards facing surface was rusting in tiny spots all over the car :shock: :shock: so literally everything, roof, bonnet, top of rear arches......then notices top of front wings, and exposed parts on top of bumper......erm, they arent metal! whats going on???!!!!

on closer inspection, some completely muppet has been angle grinding somewhere up the road, the winds blown it all over the car and i've not noticed, and a little drop of rain or two over past fortnight has caused the literally thousands of tiny metal flakes to rust.....and adhere to the paint! :evil:

at this point i figure the paintworks totally bo$%£^xed! no way i can remove rusty iron filings that are stuck fast to the topcoat without scratching the hell out of the car and further ruining everything! i mean they were stuck that fast a serious scrape with a fingernail was all i could initially shift them with and that was causing scratches!! jetwash did naff all!

so i thought, well nothing to loose, and cracked out the claybar, lubed her up and just frankly went for it in a total angry strop.......and low and behold they only blummin come off haven't they!!! nerry a mark left behind, except a few dimples in the lacquer where it looks like a few have hit hot and burnt the paint, but not noticeable at all unless your as fussy as me!!!!

thanks christ for claybar is all i can say, i;m still cringing now at the thoughts of them swirling around as i dragged the bar over the paint, can't believe it worked and saved my very expensive paint!!

moral.....dont leave a car outside uncovered if you care about it! :oops:

Coops

1995clio16v
19-06-2011, 21:55
Good Job. Yes, mate of mine had his new Audi 'sparked' from some clumsy cunt next door with an angle grinder and its deposits. Needed a re-spray where it had hit.

northy
20-06-2011, 09:22
bloody hell, must have been near though to remain that hot to stick into the paint

Wobba
20-06-2011, 13:33
I've never gotten round to clay barring the car. Is it worth it? Stripes the wax off don't it?

Coops
20-06-2011, 19:43
ai strips everything off back to top coat.

its not necessary if your paint already feels like glass, but if you can feel or see anything on the surface, tar marks, bits of bug, grime and micro particles of dust bound to the paint surface, it takes the lot off. after a good clay bar the paint feels like silk, its beautiful!

but it does mean another few layers of polish and wax is needed afterwards to reprotect

2 live
20-06-2011, 20:48
good effort mate. always used to amaze me how much shit the clay took off tbh. even after washing/polishing/waxing the car every week youd think itd be kept fairly clean......until you clay it n realise how much shit is on there that you dont realise.

sideways danny
21-06-2011, 01:13
this was the result of the council cutting down an old lamp post with grinders, without asking residents to move cars.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/sidewaysdanny/171433_10150134768458125_676093124_7885595_3859738 _o.jpg

I've not seen it, but apparently a bodyshop managed to remove all the damage and it's perfect again without any new paint. Unreal