PDA

View Full Version : Rumbling on tight(ish) right hand turns

Wobba
11-06-2011, 20:21
There's like a rumbling from front left on bends to the right.

The CV and driveshaft have been replaced twice this week already. The lower wishbone has been replaced and is brand new. The inner track rod and rod end are brand new.

The dampers are brand new and so are the springs.

The car utilises a Gripper differential. I have no problems with gears or driving the car.

I will check engine mounts but I dont think it's this, and I will check exhaust in case its swinging and touching something.

The car snapped a driveshaft a week ago after too much power on a launch.

The only thing not replaced is the wheel bearing, but I just cant believe that's suddenly decided to go as well at the same time...I am thinking the harsh revving when I broke driveshaft damaged the diff as well.

Coops
11-06-2011, 21:22
the diff should surely take alot more abuse than one launch????

Wobba
11-06-2011, 21:44
Not 100% sure it's the diff yet, but I thought it would handle more. I've never done hard launches before with it.

If this turns out I have to take the gearbox off and send away for it to be repaired I just cant be bothered, it will be time to move on and salvage what Ic an by breaking the car as no-one will buy it.

Evogone
12-06-2011, 11:03
the diff should surely take alot more abuse than one launch????

Mines done 100's of full throttle lauched on Slick so doubt its that , Wheel bearings normally rumble......

Although cheap shaft have cheap CVs...

Wobba
12-06-2011, 11:11
It's not the shafts or CV. It MUST be wheel bearing then.

I can only imagine that when you mess about with the drive shafts it sometimes upsets the bearings as this could be the second time a bearing has gone when I've replaced a CV joint/shaft.

schakal
12-06-2011, 11:27
just lift up that side and spin the wheel by hand to confirm.

walters300
12-06-2011, 11:54
i had the same on my w3 and changed the shaft/ wheelbearing and every other bit youve mentioned, turned out it was the diff bearings in the gearbox, i put a 172 cup box in instead and then i bumped the front off a bmw, it now has a clicking noise on the drivers side and somebody mentioned it could be a circlip come off, havent fixed that yet as i dont know whats wrong, if i was you wobba id buy another car for daily use and keep the willy for track days and weekends, modified cars are tempremental at the best of times :wink:

Wobba
12-06-2011, 12:42

I can't wobble wheel at 6/12 o'clock. When I spin, it goes round but there is some contact with brake pad.

schakal
12-06-2011, 13:24

I can't wobble wheel at 6/12 o'clock. When I spin, it goes round but there is some contact with brake pad.

They dont always give play or sound harsh when you spin .
it might just do it when its at an angle .

Might be worth pulling the hub and the inner race out (by hand)
to inspect/ pack some grease in there . You might be able to save the fokker :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
12-06-2011, 13:48
Do you want to use the garage today dan??

Wobba
12-06-2011, 14:06
Do you want to use the garage today dan??

Is it open? I am beginning to be convinced it is just the bearing and moving the CV in and out has somehow caused the issue. It's one of the only parts I have not replaced so it may be it's time.