PDA

View Full Version : 223.8 trouble free miles...

JamieG
11-06-2011, 20:19
Just come back from a week away in Brighton, went in the williams, straight from fcs.

It got all the way there perfect fine, on the way back it was a dream.

Did a steady 70mph on the way back, filled up yesterday and did 30miles,and managed to do half a tank to nearly 265 miles, I was so surprised to say the least!

I was a tad worried it wouldn't get me there, let alone be faultless and be so economical!

Daz.
11-06-2011, 21:14
I find it slightly sad in this day and age that people worry about making a journeys in mk1's...

Most break and fail due to neglect in my opinion - if you look after the car it looks after you!

JamieG
11-06-2011, 21:47
Yeah, I know what you mean. The car doesn't go without mechanically. It's broke down once, which was nothing I cpuld have helped. I suppose I worried a tad, due to it being the first real long journey I've done in it. Even though I used to be doing the 500mile round trip every fortnight without issues.

I fully agree with the fact that you look after it, it'll look after you.

On another note, the Clifford alarm has packed up.

Daz.
11-06-2011, 22:22
The 172 has let me down twice now - when the timing belt fell off (garage I bought it off hadn't done it correctly) and coil pack (common issue)

The williams' clutch cable snapped and I ran it out of fuel :oops:

RAC have been out twice - both for the 172 :lol:

Swings and roundabouts I guess, I think the older the car the more hidden it's past so it is a bit of a gamble at first.

Lunner
12-06-2011, 07:47
A few years ago myself, adam, and matt wills went on a 2 day trip round wales, went all round wales, 2 days of hard driving, two mk1s and a mk2, and no issues.

As above, if your car is maintained and looked after then realiability isn't an issue

LEIGH-ANNE
12-06-2011, 09:51
^ Remember that well.

Jamie.
12-06-2011, 17:06
When coops, bayliss and richy did Germany, I think they l broke. I can't remember who else went on that trip.

jondkee
12-06-2011, 20:17
I've had more issues with my more modern Megane (53 plate) that has been serviced on time every time than the OH had on her T Reg Micra (serviced every so often). I think there's something to be said for slightly older cars that have less electonics and other stuff that could go wrong?

Daz.
12-06-2011, 22:37
My coil pack issue was a valid point - on an older car I could have nursed it on 3 cylinders...

The nanny electronics on the 172 refused to let it run like that and threw a fit doing 8*mph on the motorway - Then refused to start - I wasn't very pleased!

Rightly or wrongly it was stopping most people from doing more damage to the car/cat etc... but it's annoying!

To be fair though I used to have TPS issues with the willy - one of the only electrics it has!

Smokey McPot
13-06-2011, 20:36
Half a tank for 265 miles? I call shenanigans.

sideways danny
14-06-2011, 01:33
My coil pack issue was a valid point - on an older car I could have nursed it on 3 cylinders...

The nanny electronics on the 172 refused to let it run like that and threw a fit doing 8*mph on the motorway - Then refused to start - I wasn't very pleased!

Rightly or wrongly it was stopping most people from doing more damage to the car/cat etc... but it's annoying!

To be fair though I used to have TPS issues with the willy - one of the only electrics it has!

there's no nanny electronics, you will simply have lost spark on 2 cylinders rather than 1, one side of the coil runs 2 cly, the other side does the other 2 ;) you loce one half of the coilpack, and you lose 2 cylinders.

I do 400 to 500 mile round trips fairly regularly, I do normally spend an hour checking the car over, usually the day before, but it's never been a big deal. Worst thing so far was a TPS that died and caused kangarooing right at cruising speed for pretty much the whole length of the M3, M25 and M1.