PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem after air filter change

andyleep
11-06-2011, 18:30
I have changed my Williams 2 airbox back to standard after having an induction kit on her. It idled fine before, but now runs anywhere from about 800 - 1400 rpm randomly. It'll pick up, shoot up to 1400 then drop down to 800, nearly cut-out and just constantly hunts between the 2. Ideas?

Wobba
11-06-2011, 20:33
Check wiring to the ISCV (three wires, must not short out on each other). Clean ISCV as well.

andyleep
13-06-2011, 14:58
Wobba, I see in an old post you've mentioned a white connector on the drivers side of the inlet manifold and if you remove it and start the car something about the ecu default values? Will this reset the values?

Wobba
13-06-2011, 16:51
No, if there is no input from that sensor (air temp I think?) it defaults to a value around 21 degree or something. You can reset some variables in the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a period of a few hours, or so legend would have us believe...

andyleep
24-06-2011, 20:51
Thanks Wob, I have a steady idle now. Cleaned iscv, fitted a new breather, cleaned tps and doctored the slightly broken wiring. All is good, except idling is at a constant 1200. So looking to adjust the tps in the morning!

Wobba
25-06-2011, 12:50
I think adjusting stuff like that may only mask other problems.

Try everything else first, like earthing points and very thorough air leak testing.

Wobba
25-06-2011, 17:27
Oh, and while I remember, try running the car as normal to operating temperature, then unplug the coolant temp sensor connector from the white sensor in the thermostat housing. Leave it a moment and go check the revs. Plug back in. Replace sensor if the car idles normally with it unplugged.

andyleep
06-07-2011, 14:18
Thanks for the info Wobba. After several checks everything seemed fine but was still idling high so I adjusted the tps and I now have a perfect idle at 900rpm. Happy days! But don't panic, I didn't touch any hidden adjustment screws, just rocked the tps back and forward until it seemed good and tightened the bolts. I knew the holes were elongated for a reason!