PDA

View Full Version : Williams as Daily Driver

jondkee
07-06-2011, 21:58
Hello - Vaguely newbie here. I signed up a couple of years ago and have a look every so often, but never got round to buying a Williams at that time. I ended up buying an Avantime instead...
I wondered if anyone used their car a a daily driver and what it's like to live with on a day-to-day basis and what real MPG people get out of them.
I currently drive a Megane dCi for work as I do about 15K a year. For various reasons I want to get rid of it. I had been thinking of a Ford Ka as they're cheap and easy to fix, but have just seen a 3 down the road from me, which has got me thinking. ( I had a 1.4RT in the past and really liked it)
Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks
Jon

Chadwick
07-06-2011, 22:33
For me - Nah. My daily drive is a new Navara. Throw all my gear in the back, pulls very well, cruises at 90 forever and a day getting 32mpg without my ears bleeding, dvd player, electric everything - Love it.

My Williams on the otherhand, I use mine for just a weekend drive. Its very loud, lots of people look down on you because you're in a old renault with gold wheels. Its harsh on the bumps. It has an addiction to being 'tweaked'.

But, Ive never driven another car that can always put such a smile on my face when you get on the twisties!

stevie_b
07-06-2011, 22:35
Welcome. Are you saying you would plan to do 15k p.a. in it? MPG is around 30 mpg, depending on use, BTW.

jondkee
07-06-2011, 22:39
I'm currently doing about 15K a year for work, yes, but would try and keep that as low as possible. I know putting too many miles on the car mightn't be too popular!
I had been thinking the MPG might be closer to the mid 30s if driven relatively carefully on mix of Mways and A roads...

tutuur
07-06-2011, 22:46
I would be happy to even get 30MPG!!!

And why not put many miles on the car? My engine has run 320k km and still runs perfect! (a little oil consumption when kickin it's ass)

Wobba
08-06-2011, 00:10
My Williams is a daily driver. It's also highly tuned, at about 220+ bhp

I do maybe 10k miles a year, with a track day a year at the moment.

I wont deny you have to keep on top of any issues that arise straight away, but if you do that and know how to use a spanner, you're fine.

In fact, today and yesterday are the only two consecutive days the car has been of the road due to a mechanical issue in over two years, and that's only because the part that should have arrived today to fix it, didn't. Plus it only broke because I really pushed my luck and sheared a driveshaft...not a problem for a standard car.

Even with my state of tune I get over 30 mpg now, but this will vary depending on the type of driving. It drops with urban traffic jams!

You can definitely live with a Williams as a commuter car, but my car is not ideal due to the hard ride and noise and I will likely retire it from commuter service for something less exciting shortly, and garage the Williams for years of pampering in a nice warm garage.

When I do though, I will miss the comments, smiles and nods from other passing petrolheads in the know ;)

theweekendhaslanded
08-06-2011, 00:22
I use my Williams 3 as a daily drive. I only do about 4-5k a year which is mainly to work and back. I get between 290-355 miles on £60 of fuel but the best bit is classic car insurance @ £179 for the year including breakdown cover. Like Wobba said you need to be hands on and prepared to get your spanners out if anything goes wrong.

Again as mentioned above you will get a hugh amount of pleasure when driving the Williams, all these years on and it still out performs most modern cars. It will make you smile big time!! Make sure you get a well looked after example

Lunner
08-06-2011, 06:06
For me - Nah. My daily drive is a new Navara. Throw all my gear in the back, pulls very well, cruises at 90 forever and a day getting 32mpg without my ears bleeding, dvd player, electric everything - Love it.

My Williams on the otherhand, I use mine for just a weekend drive. Its very loud, lots of people look down on you because you're in a old renault with gold wheels. Its harsh on the bumps. It has an addiction to being 'tweaked'.

But, Ive never driven another car that can always put such a smile on my face when you get on the twisties!

You get 32mpg from a Navara??

I was after one, but everyone seems to get around the 20 mpg mark

Tommy
08-06-2011, 16:37
mine is a daily drive, also doing the 2hour trip from uni to home on the regular. very loud (with mongoose) and a slightly harsh ride (lowered) but it is easily lived with; as soon as you get on a road worthy of some spirited driving you wouldnt want to be in any other car.

also on the mpg side of things.. recently drove from cheltenham to glasgow and back with absolutely no faults whatsoever.. and it only took a tank each way.

basically, look after them and they will definitely look after you; as well as put a massive smile on your face.

:)

Chadwick
09-06-2011, 00:39

You get 32mpg from a Navara??

I was after one, but everyone seems to get around the 20 mpg mark

Yep, can pretty easily get above 30mpg- on the new 200bhp models..

Typically, I drive it relativley hard, and even then, when driven hard you'll average around 28mpg (minimum).
Im looking at getting it re-mapped at the miniute. Apparently, to meet european tax bands, they de-rate the engine quite significantly, creating better immitions. Therefore, after a good mapping,i've been told you can unleash around an extra 50bhp, and 50Nm of torque.

250bhp in a 5meter long bus feels pretty damn fast!

Kingscott
12-06-2011, 18:55
Hi

I use my Williams 2 every day, imo its fine, always reliable 30 ish mpg, I even throw the dogs in the back. I do my own mechanics so I save there but as yet in 4 months no issues. Just look after it don't abuse it and hopefully it Will be good. The Running costs are fine with me and for the fun of driving it well worth it.

Jaymzfc
12-06-2011, 19:49
Daily here too, as mentioned above the car is always going to be 15+ so expect a few things here and there. Apart from that it's still as exciting as the day i picked it up from Mr Brown.

Rudi
13-06-2011, 14:22
My 3 is my daily driver, can't fault it really. I normally get about 300 miles per tank with varied right foot action and roads, and to be honest i get more good looks than bad, plus lets be honest who gives a f*ck if somebody is looking down there nose at you beacause they don't know what there looking at. Scratch that itch fella

Tommy
14-06-2011, 01:06
lets be honest who gives a f*ck if somebody is looking down there nose at you beacause they don't know what there looking at.

Amen to that. :)