PDA

View Full Version : Remove impact bars / Spray the door pockets?

fab
01-06-2011, 13:29
Can it be done?

cliokiz
01-06-2011, 14:39
Impact bars can be chopped out, yes

Door pockets can be sprayed, yes

stevie_b
01-06-2011, 16:18
If you attempt the impact bars let me know how you get on! I have removed the door cards and thought I'd remove the door bars as I would be fitting a cage anyway. However, the Torx bolt looked like it didn't want to shift (painted over in the factory by the looks of it) and it looked like the bar itself was welded to the door skin in places. I know an angle grinder applied to the right spots would no doubt free it from the door skin, but it looked like there was a high risk of damaging the door skin when trying to remove it. I have therefore left them in place for the moment, but if you find that they are easy to remove then I may well have another go. :wink:

If you want some pictures to decide whether it is worth attempting and don't want to remove your door cards just to have a look then let me know and I'll take some photos for you to help you decide.

cliokiz
01-06-2011, 16:20
Or you could just get some Ph1 doors and get them sprayed.

MatBrown
01-06-2011, 16:43
If you attempt the impact bars let me know how you get on! I have removed the door cards and thought I'd remove the door bars as I would be fitting a cage anyway. However, the Torx bolt looked like it didn't want to shift (painted over in the factory by the looks of it) and it looked like the bar itself was welded to the door skin in places. I know an angle grinder applied to the right spots would no doubt free it from the door skin, but it looked like there was a high risk of damaging the door skin when trying to remove it. I have therefore left them in place for the moment, but if you find that they are easy to remove then I may well have another go. :wink:

If you want some pictures to decide whether it is worth attempting and don't want to remove your door cards just to have a look then let me know and I'll take some photos for you to help you decide.

I would say they are impossible to remove completely without damaging the doorskin.

Daz.
01-06-2011, 16:44
Or you could just get some Ph1 doors and get them sprayed.

This = so so much easier - my old willy 2 runs around on ph1 doors - they seem to be better at keeping the rust out too.

fab
01-06-2011, 18:25
I chickened out.

The angle grinder could get at the bars closest the door hinge alright, but if I went a mm too far I'd have a nice big rip in the door skin!

Feck it, they can stay where they are.

stevie_b
01-06-2011, 18:58
I would say they are impossible to remove completely without damaging the doorskin.

That's good enough for me - that's shelved that job forever then. Is there a "Matt saved me a job" smiley thing? :lol:

fab
01-06-2011, 19:08
:)
he did say it would be impossible to get them "completely out" which is very true, BUT I reckon if you slid a sheet of something between doorskin and bars you would defo take 94% of it out. You need super eyesight also.
Phase 1 doorskin is the way to go :wink:

Coffee Mug
01-06-2011, 19:20
I have removed a couple now with no damage to the door skin, Remove the torx, then drill the spot weld on the ends.

Then you put a piece of plastic between the skin and the bars in the middle and angle grind it carefully. When you feel the plastic starts moving, you know you are through.

Coffee Mug
01-06-2011, 19:21
Oh and it also helps if you cut a 'V' rather than a straight cut.

fab
01-06-2011, 19:55
^ this guy is good..I like him already :)

You didnt happen to weigh them did you? Just wandering if it's worth the extra door holes.

fab
01-06-2011, 20:39
then drill the spot weld on the ends.

Are you saying spot welds on the outside of the door, underneath the hinge, cause their hard to make out?

Wobba
01-06-2011, 23:29
Thankfully, my doors don't have these.

fab
02-06-2011, 08:49
Where's that newb gone off to now, can't find the spot welds he's on about :roll:

fab
02-06-2011, 09:37
Here's some pics. There is no "spot weld" as such. It's seam welded as far as I can tell.

This is where the inner bar joins on the skin

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/InnerJoin.gif

This is the seam on the outside

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/SeamWeld.gif

And as for getting something in between bars and skin, well there is some sort of paste between them in the center section.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/CenterofDoor.gif

Coffee Mug
02-06-2011, 12:49
The spot welds are on the ends of the bars. ie the end that attaches near the hinges and the door catch.

The door bars must weight the best part of 7 kgs each side.

Which is why the weight of the williams 1 is at least 15 kgs less than the williams 2. (at least).

If you want to save another 'free' 5 kgs, there is a huge solid metal bracket holding on the carbon canister.