PDA

View Full Version : sprint hill-climb

Kingscott
22-05-2011, 18:03
Doe's/has anyone "gone sprinting"

I really fancy having a go in my 5 turbo but I'm getting really confused as to the regulations/rules/licence ect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some advice for a beginner?

Many thanks

Adam.

16v_paddy
22-05-2011, 19:43
I'd also try asking on pistonheads forums, iirc they have a section just for motorsports & competing so potentially a lot more info & experience to be found on there :wink:

Tommo
22-05-2011, 19:49
Ask Cliorod on here

Coffee Mug
22-05-2011, 20:01
What is wrong with Tesco car park at 1 am?

16v_paddy
22-05-2011, 20:03
What is wrong with Tesco car park at 1 am?

:rotflmao: :notworthy:

Kingscott
22-05-2011, 20:37
:lol: :poke:

You Silly boy! :lol:

RB23
22-05-2011, 20:38
Try this www.gomotorsport.net/en-GB/default.html

stevie_b
22-05-2011, 22:36
How can I help? I've done around 100 sprint and hillclimb events so you could say I know a bit about it :lol: Licence is easy to obtain as you only need a 'Non Race National B' licence for sprinting which does not need a test or medical. You should find the application form on the MSA website and just print and send off to them with the fee and you should have a licence within a week or two. Along with the licence you will also get the MSA 'blue book' which is the 'bible' of rules so you should find that those things make a bit more sense once you have the book to check them against. I think it may all be on the MSA website as well though.

Depending on your region your car will be eligible for a certain 'class' so that you have similar performing cars to judge your times/compete against. In the South East you would most likely be in the class for 1.4 to 2 litre cars - the 5GT is a 1.4 I know but since the car has a turbocharger you multiply the capacity by 1.4 to determine the effective size which would then put you in just < 2 litres. Due to its light weight and reasonable power the 5GT would certainly be capable of class wins in that class, in the right hands.

Which part of the country are you from and if its in the South East I can tell you a bit more about events in that part of the country.

Kingscott
23-05-2011, 08:49
Hi

Sending PM mate.

Thanks

cliorod
27-05-2011, 19:10
www.pendledistrictmc.co.uk
Hi KingScott
If it helps,I have been a licensed MSA clerk of course for speed events (sprints & Hillclimbs) for about 15 years,and our club ~ link above,runs an event at Scammonden Dam,Huddersfield ~~~ Junction 22 or 23 on the M62.Other events (hillclimbs) are run at Barbon Manor(Kirkby Lonsdale) and Harewood (Leeds),Sprints are run at Aintree Race Circuit (Liverpool) and also at 3 Sisters Kart circuit (Wigan).
Nearer to you there is a place called Curborough ~~~ a very fast circuit.
There is a doctor competes in a very quick,highly modofied Red Renault 5Gt and does quiet well with it.
I hope this helps
Rod

Kingscott
02-06-2011, 12:05
Did that PM come through?