PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel clunk

Lee b
21-05-2011, 20:06
Hi all
I have a clunking on the steering, when you turn the wheel you can feel and hear a slight clunk as if theres slight play. I can't see anything obvious. Is this the symptom why columns are welded and if so how do you do this and where are they welded. I'm trying to get the car ready for fcs so advice would be appreciated
Thanks

fab
21-05-2011, 20:40
Hi Lee. Clunking is not "normally" associated with steering play in the column. Problem could be along the rack somewhere, track rod ends, bottom ball joints maybe.
Is it happening with car running and also when turned off?

Lee b
22-05-2011, 23:26
Both really, if you shake the wheel when stationary engine off or on and when moving in a certain way it happens. It's like a little clunk

cliokiz
23-05-2011, 09:06
Could be allsorts!

Suspension top mounts, snapped spring, incorrectly seated spring, or the play in balljoints mentioned above

fab
23-05-2011, 12:55
Yep, could even be loose subframe/worn subframe bush, cv joint, wishbone etc.

When it clunks do you get a vibration through the cabin or just on the steering wheel?

Best bet is to jack it up, wheel off, and go over all the bolts again. Failing that off to a mechanic.

Lee b
27-05-2011, 15:20
Thanks for the advice I'll take a look

cliokiz
27-05-2011, 15:26
I bet you it won't clunk when you've got it jacked up though, most clunks can only be felt when there's weight on suspension :(