PDA

View Full Version : Another tyre thread!

fab
14-05-2011, 21:16
In a bit of a pickle with tyre's at the moment.

Have 2 sets and whilst they both have good thread on them, they are fairly old. The michelin are more than 15 years old, and on a set of original speedlines..so I want to avoid having to take these tyres off unless absolutely necessary.

The second set currently on the car are a set of yoko 539's about 6 years old and wrapped around a set of refurbed speedlines. I kinda trust them but then again sometimes not so much.

So what do I do?

I really don't believe that spending money on semi-slicks is the way forward for a couple of reasons. One being many of these semi-slicks will not be road legal in 2012 and the other is I think they are generally over priced for the mileage you would get out of them.

I have sourced a set of Dunlop slicks and am strongly considering them as there is a track day coming up for which they would come in very useful. But what do I do with them afterwards? Working out at about £250.

Then there are these..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/205-50-15-Michelin-Pilot-Sport-Cup-Track-Tyre-2055015-/170617533003?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item27b998f24b#ht_662wt_702

Do i risk it with the tyres i have?

:?

fab
15-05-2011, 10:03
Wonderful Gaz, thanks for the insight. :)

Either way I need fresh rubber on both sets. On top of this we have our daily car which needs new boots also at this time, and hence contrary to popular belief I aint made of money and therefore in this pickle lol

For the joy of taking the Williams to Donington this year as you said focus on the wheels currently on the car, and hope that whichever tyres I choose they get me back home and can be used thereafter.
or
Leave the williams for another day and take the daily and the missus for a day out.

fab
15-05-2011, 14:30
Just want to clear something up on the roll-cage scenario.

Whilst I dont question yours (or anyones else's) knowledge of track days Gaz, is the fitting of a rollcage really necessary for "non-competitive" track days?

Are there rules and regulations to this or is it something you feel is a safety must have if you use slick tyres and can you elaborate why if so?

Because lets face it..
1. 888's aint that far off a set of slick tyres.
2. I'm not exactly going to be breaking the lap record in a clio.
3. I could well hurt myself or someone else for that matter in something far more powerful which I cannot handle.

Thanks.

northy
16-05-2011, 08:21
And u'd be suprised how far 888's are off slicks!!

This is the reason why they have stopped it. The breakaway of a slick tyre is so much more sever than a road tyre its very hard to predict and catch. From my experience - if not warmed up correctly you can do a lap then go into another corner and spin as if you have just driven over a patch of ice. Not sure what tyres martin was on when he rolled his car!

Suction mounts were stopped as one came off and got stuck under the drivers pedal. The next corner he was off!

Rules are rules.

I would look for a set of wheels to run track tyres on if i was you. You dont want to be using your immaculate original set. Keep your eye on ebay for a set of 4 x R888 as you can get warn ones for £100. Good enough for 3 / 4 trackdays.

You dont want to do a trackday on new exalto road tyres as you will destroy the shoulders unless your running camber.....

fab
16-05-2011, 08:41
OK thanks for the heads up chaps.

One last question on the subject :)
Rally tarmac tyres no good either?

fab
16-05-2011, 08:53
Crisis over.
theres a set of 888's in Belfast so I should be able to go collect them. :D

northy
16-05-2011, 10:17
rally tyres would be ok providing they are tarmac spec, dry or wets?

R888's even worn - u can run right down to nearly a slick like tread.

fab
16-05-2011, 14:27
The dunlops were dry spec I believe Northy, not new though had seen a few stages.

Well just back from Belfast and have the 888's.The chap was using them for drag racing but he needed slicks instead. They are scrubbed in and shoulders are nicely intact.

Cant thank you enough..between eBay and Williamsland, its where all the magic happens!
:D

Wobba
16-05-2011, 23:14
Might get some part worn 888's as well and chuck em on the less than mint spare Speedlines, not too keen ragging the shit out of the AD08's.

fab
17-05-2011, 08:53
Blimey you know they are a serious tyre when you rub them. It feels as if the tyre compound is alive. There is no comparison with the old wooden tyre's I have on now.
I know that some of you boys look out for slicks on 15's and because the current cup's have gone to a bigger wheel diameter they may be hard to find cheap. So I will let you know if i come by anything that may be of interest.

northy
17-05-2011, 09:54
second hand sets have dryed up now, the ones that do come up are years old.

I have been buying new - £150 a corner. Not fitted my two new ones yet but i am excited to try fresh rubber!!!!

fab
19-05-2011, 09:09
Before I go get these tyres fitted and possibly tracking setup..

was going over the manual for the Toyo's last night and was reading about temps. Optimum seems to be between 160F to 220F. Do people generally bring tyre temperature gauges to track days? Any historical data on the average temp tyres get to on track days?
I know style of driving and car setup will obviously effect temps but I find tyres interesting! Also as incorrect temps generally cause tyre graining are you sure we can get these up to temp in British summer time weather? :)

Also on the camber side of things. They suggest -2 negative camber but they say that these tyres already produce negative camber thrust. As a Williams is 0 camber on default setup I'm wandering if it's worthwhile at all getting bolts to do this. They say you need to be able to dial in your camber as you check tyre temps but how do you know what degrees your at without going to get a tyre place to give you a reading all the time?

Some pics.
Its like chalk and cheese the feeling between the 2..
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/DSC02877.gif

And here she is getting some TLC.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/DSC02882.gif