PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt Advice

C3 WLM
05-05-2011, 18:50
Trying to get my Williams booked in for a Cambelt change, and sure I read somewhere it was worth doing the water pump at the same time.

However speaking to the guys at Birchdown there's a bit of uncertainty about doing the water pump, doubles the time and isn't worth doing as its the same as a 172 which are robust??

Can anyone shed any light onto what is worth doing whilst doing the cambelt and an idea of the prices I should be paying.

Thanks in adavnce

:D

MatBrown
05-05-2011, 20:45
If it's never been done then get it done.

Wobba
05-05-2011, 21:25
Only other thing that's not a bitch to do and is worth doing at the same time is the alternator belt.

Water pump is a good idea though, but will add considerable time to the job.

C3 WLM
05-05-2011, 21:41
What about the pulleys, and should I bite the bullet and have anything else done preventative maintenance wise done at the same time?

Wobba
05-05-2011, 22:38
Yea, theres a couple of pulleys, which will come with the cambelt if you buy the kit. One pulley is a bitch to reach, the tensioner is easy.

acerimmer
05-05-2011, 23:14
just doin mine at the mo, was told you can do it with out takin out engine but its hard to do, i changed water pump, cam belt, pullys and tensioners. I ended up takin out the engine as its easier in the end plus put a new chuch in. bet a garage could do the work but i bet it will be expensive. hopefully should have engine back in for fcs.

sideways danny
06-05-2011, 03:29
listen to the guys at Birchdown, they are correct. It's the exact same pump as an F4R and they're a very very rare failure. I've only had to change 3 ever due to an issue, and thats from over 300 cambelt changes

redeye83
06-05-2011, 15:16
How much would it be to get all this work done as I was looking into gettin all this done. Parts and labour.

cliokiz
06-05-2011, 15:22
just doin mine at the mo, was told you can do it with out takin out engine but its hard to do, i changed water pump, cam belt, pullys and tensioners. I ended up takin out the engine as its easier in the end plus put a new chuch in. bet a garage could do the work but i bet it will be expensive. hopefully should have engine back in for fcs.

If you need a hand with anything then let me know if it helps you get to FCS :)

The water pump is worth doing as mentioned if it's never been done, although I think next time I change mine i'll go for a genuine part.

I fitted a pattern part and after less than two years theres a lot of movement in the pulley already. Not sure if they're supposed to be like that.

The water pump can be reached in about 10-15 minutes once the radiator is out the way, but it takes a little while to remove the old gasket if it's solidified itself and stuck to the block!

Tommo
06-05-2011, 15:28
Let me know how much they charge you for all this mate, mine's going into Birchdown for a cambelt change when it's back on the road in July...

acerimmer
06-05-2011, 22:09

If you need a hand with anything then let me know if it helps you get to FCS :)

The water pump is worth doing as mentioned if it's never been done, although I think next time I change mine i'll go for a genuine part.

I fitted a pattern part and after less than two years theres a lot of movement in the pulley already. Not sure if they're supposed to be like that.

The water pump can be reached in about 10-15 minutes once the radiator is out the way, but it takes a little while to remove the old gasket if it's solidified itself and stuck to the block!

C3 WLM
11-05-2011, 19:34
thanks all, booked into birchdown for cambelt, aux belt tentioners, full service and a good coat of looking at, will report back! :D

redeye83
10-07-2011, 07:55
What was the out come with this in the end