PDA

View Full Version : carbon canister

dimma
05-05-2011, 10:17
how much is one worth second hand ?

fab
05-05-2011, 11:17
:lol:
they should be giving it to you for free!

Chadwick
08-05-2011, 21:39
What do most people do with these. I was looking through the Haynes manual this week at how it works..

I believe it is to collect any petrol vapour coming out of the air intake or looming in the engine, and re-apply it to the engine when it is running.
Is this correct? :?

Do you think it is saving fuel? (more than £1 a weeks worth of fuel?)
And do you think its worth keeping? Its bloody heavy! and one of my pipes has broken off going onto the carbon cannister..

If you have removed it, which I know some of you have, what do you do with all the pipes now they're redundant?

Cheers,
Al

fab
08-05-2011, 22:00
The dislike I had with it is that if you remove the cannister your gonna need to do something about the fuel line from the tank.

If you block this line off then the tank has no way of breathing.
If you drill a hole in the reserve tank then you "potentially" will have the smell of fuel from the rear of the car.

In the end I stuck mine back in. I hear it saves fuel on longer journeys.

As for that big chunk of metal that it mounts on, well my theory on that is that Reno, must of for safety reasons, had to put some protection around it as it's location is very close to the front bumper.

The Reno manual suggest that this cannister is serviceable, in other words it can be dis-charged or whatever they need to do with it.

Coops
08-05-2011, 22:34
i ripped mine out inc line back to tank and simply drilled a very small hole in the neck of the filler behind the cap but right at the top and let it breath through there.

Chadwick
09-05-2011, 11:58
What did you do with the hoses going onto the air manifold, cap off, or use a small filter?