PDA

View Full Version : Transporting bicycles

fab
03-05-2011, 14:53
Looking to find out which is the best way to carry bicycles with a car. Roof rack or mounted on the rear?

Anyone got any experience with this? doesn't have to be on a reno. :P

snowman
03-05-2011, 15:20
Think the best boot mounted rack atm is a SARIS BONES,keeps upto 3 bikes really secure,there are lots of decent roof mounted versions too,maybe have a chat with clio-girl as she knows a lot about Thule stuff

Coops
03-05-2011, 20:43
seats down, wheels off, done ;-) lol!!

2 live
10-05-2011, 09:18
can get 4 in the back of the van easily ;)

stevie_b
10-05-2011, 09:55
Tow ball mounted ones are good as they feel very secure. I have a 'normal' rear-mounted one and it is a bit of a faff with the straps and stuff but works okay. Probably not suitable if you need to get into the boot mid-trip as it would all need to be taken off to gain access, but if it is just a case of getting the bikes to somewhere on holiday where you then take them off and unpack the car they are good enough. Pro with the roof mounted is that you can still open the boot with the bikes on the car, but it is a bit trickier to get the bikes up there. Also you lose the roof space if you wanted to mount something else on there, like a roofbox for example.

fab
10-05-2011, 10:42

:lol:
I know what your insinuating..you had a chance to come over last year and collect them :wink:

thanks for the feedback stevie..
i was thinking roof mounted myself cause if you buy the kit you have the option to double up using it as a roofbox also albeit as you say not with the bikes.
i'll have a look into the towball mounted option. This way I could use a trailer also for transporting bigger stuff.

2 live
10-05-2011, 18:44

I know what your insinuating..you had a chance to come over last year and collect them :wink:

i was thinking roof mounted myself cause if you buy the kit you have the option to double up using it as a roofbox also albeit as you say not with the bikes.
i'll have a look into the towball mounted option. This way I could use a trailer also for transporting bigger stuff.

lol.....i meant bikes......can get my lapierre and giant in as well as the lads trek and the daughters scott, and still have room left over ;)

personally id try to avoid a rear mounted one, if its a hatchback and the rack tightens up against the glass, seen quite a few of these take windows out etc. and not exactly the most practical for opening the hatch etc. means removing the rack more often than not. think thule do one where the rack fixes to tow ball and hinges forward for access to boot etc. either thule or pendle racks iirc.

2 live
10-05-2011, 18:45

lol.....i meant bikes......can get my lapierre and giant in as well as the lads trek and the daughters scott, and still have room left over ;)

personally id try to avoid a rear mounted one, if its a hatchback and the rack tightens up against the glass, seen quite a few of these take windows out etc. and not exactly the most practical for opening the hatch etc. means removing the rack more often than not. think thule do one where the rack fixes to tow ball and hinges forward for access to boot etc. either thule or pendle racks iirc.

fab
10-05-2011, 19:34
ah right your sorted then 2live :wink:

Yeah think I'll go with a standard flange towbar (as I read anything else is a mare if you have bicycle carrier and trailer) and maybe a thule or other brand roll-on carrier like this one;
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/product_image_4677_3303.jpg

Cause anything else holds a ladies frame arseways.

2 live
10-05-2011, 20:42
http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/Behind-the-Ball-Mounting-4-Bike-Rack.php