PDA

View Full Version : Discs + Pads........Hard to do ?

BRUN
08-08-2005, 00:05
ive never trusted myself changing the brakes on my car, but, how hard is it really

any guides on the net about it ?

MatBrown
08-08-2005, 00:46
Piece of cake.

Mat.

Winston
08-08-2005, 02:01
Easy now :D

Mattie
08-08-2005, 09:09
if you kno wot ur doin then its easy m8!

Lunner
08-08-2005, 09:45
Piss easy mate, follow the Haynes and you can't go wrong, just rememberm, if it doesn't fit then you've got it wrong somewhere...usually, oh and you might need to use alot of brute force to get the discs off, smack the rear side HARD

MatBrown
08-08-2005, 10:13
You will need a slim 17mm spanner.

Mat.

Lunner
08-08-2005, 10:17
Or mod a normal 17mm spanner with an angle grinder :twisted:

BRUN
08-08-2005, 18:47
how slim ?

im attempting this tomorrow

summeh
08-08-2005, 20:32
you'll be fine mate, tis piss easy... don't forget to use new caliper guide pin bolts if u got them with the pads and locktite um.

Gav
08-08-2005, 23:42
did mine yesterday, new calipers,pads n discs.

Easy as anything mate, chaging brakes was on the the 1st things my dad taught me.

1/ Take cap off master cylinder, detach plug from socket on the lid 1st
2/ Take wheel off
3/ Turn wheel so caliper is facing you, pull out little pin top right of the brake pad (dont lose this!), then get a screwdriver or something thin and knock out the thin plate keeping the pads in place.
4/ Pull slave pad out, then get some waterpump pliers (big ass pliers) and squeeze piston back into its socket
5/ remove piston pad
6/ undo two main bolts (18mm socket) from behind the caliper
7/ take caliper off (dont undo that wire that comes from your engine bay to your caliper unless you want to bleed the brakes)
8/ get a mallet and smack the crap out your old disc till it comes off
9/ paint the calipers a nice pretty colour :D
10/ put some copper grease on the hub then put new disc on, make sure that the coutersink hole joins up with the little bolt hole on your hub
11/ re-fit calliper
12/ put piston pad in 1st
13/ then put slave pad in
14/ slide in the plate again and put the pin back into the hole
15/ check the bolts on back of caliper are tight (check with a breaker bar or something, you dont want your caliper coming off on the motorway)
16/ put wheel back on, lower jack and put cap back onto master cylinder plug wire back in

The brakes will be a bit spongy for 1st hour or so, but be sure to test your brakes somewhere safe before going onto the road, i dont wanna see a mangled clio on the news fella

JOBS A GOOD'UN

Williams-Jr

BRUN
09-08-2005, 19:45
a lot easier than i thought, dont know why ive been paying someone else to do this for me

fitted my Brembo Max discs and Pagid Fast Road pads today

think i might replace the calipers as they dont look 100% but they still stop the car pretty well

if any of you are a bit wary of doing this, dont be, its easy, if i can do it anyone can, seriously !

Lunner
09-08-2005, 22:46
Now i just never bothered wiht taking the master cylinder cap off, and i just pushed the piston back in with my hands....cus i'm 'ard like that ;)

BRUN
09-08-2005, 23:36
there is no way mine would push back jus using your hands

Gav
09-08-2005, 23:47
dont think anyones piston can be pushed in with their hands except Lunner, either he is the Incredible Hulk or you got a dodgy piston my son :? :D

Swervin_Mervin
10-08-2005, 10:55
I used my hands. Keep the old disc on, take off caliper, remove pads and then wedge the piston against the old disc and heave. Piss easy. Real men do it this way! :P :wink:

MatBrown
10-08-2005, 11:21
But doing it like that can knacker the master cylinder, you should really open the bleed nipple and let the fluid out there.

Mat.

Swervin_Mervin
10-08-2005, 13:37
But I don't want to lose any fluid!!???

Lunner
10-08-2005, 17:58
I used my hands. Keep the old disc on, take off caliper, remove pads and then wedge the piston against the old disc and heave. Piss easy. Real men do it this way! :P :wink:

Fist time i did it thumbs on piston and fingers round back and squeezed, i sequeezed that hard i sent the end of my thumbs numb, and it took a feww for the feeling to return, now i put the back against the strut, and jack handle accross piston and push in