PDA

View Full Version : One new clutch cable later

scratabout1988
09-04-2011, 18:15
I had problems with a real stiff/heavy clutch lately so decided to replace the pile of carp aftermarket clutch cable and replace with a renault cable.

After alot of fannying around this afternoon trying to get it fitted throught the bulk head with my mate, we finay got if done and SUCCESS! the clutch pedal has become alot lighter in comparisson, but on the test run i found the clutch bite to be almost on the deck.

I had a quick look for away of ajusting at the pedal but didn't see an adjuster?

is there away to adjust the pedal/cable that i've obviously missed?

16v_paddy
09-04-2011, 20:17
It's supposed to adjust itself

Laine_16v
09-04-2011, 20:45
Yeah every time i remove my clutch cable for engine removal e.t.c i find i have to pump it about 10-20 times and it returns right back to normal. If yours hasn't suggest there may be a problem with the ratchet on the pedal.

cliokiz
09-04-2011, 22:24
Take the green block (pedal stop) out from above the clutch pedal, allow the pedal to raise to the stop to slacken the self adjuster, then pump a few times.

Refit the block, then pump again, and it should hopefully adjust itself again and sort it out.

scratabout1988
10-04-2011, 22:25
Take the green block (pedal stop) out from above the clutch pedal, allow the pedal to raise to the stop to slacken the self adjuster, then pump a few times.

Refit the block, then pump again, and it should hopefully adjust itself again and sort it out.

tried doing this earlier, it's made it a little better. seem to select the gears most times now but the bite's still fairly low to the ground plus there's some creeking going on with the clutch ratchet??? :?

just out of interest the cable doesn't look like it's seated properly in the ratchet. sorry for the crap pic but you can just make out the cable end seated quite deeply in the ratchet. not sure if it's meant to sit right at the end?

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/robferguson20/querypic.jpg

fab
10-04-2011, 22:59
Thats OK so long as the cable goes over the top of the rachet and sits in a groove as such.
Your low biting point could be attributed to a couple of things.
Firstly it should self adjust as Paddy said.
Secondly pump the clutch as Laine said.
Thirdly, did you try as Kiz suggested?

Fourthly, seeing as there are a lot of posts coming up about this issue recently I took the liberty of going through some old ones and 1 sort of got my attention.
It was a post by Summeh and what he did was rather than make the cable shorter by adding spacer's where it loops through the gearbox, he actually removed the rubber from the cable and it worked out well for him. This is how mine is setup now and is selecting gears hot or cold and biting point is half way.
I need a new pedal and rachet at some stage but for now i'm happy with the way it is.

My fifth point is to say that if it ain't broken don't fix it! :)