PDA

View Full Version : Best Axle Stands?

Imperial_16v
05-04-2011, 18:53
Hi there

If you plan to leave your car on Axle Stands, which are the best ones?

For example, will these Clarke stands be OK?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cax-3tbc-3-ton-axle-stands/path/axle-stands-car-ramps-2

Would you have to put anything in-between the stand and the sill? Or should you jack the car at the point under the sill and place these elsewhere? :oops:

Would people not recommend leaving the car on these for any amount of time, so for example, say you are working on the suspension and brakes and the car is on stands. As soon as the work is done, is it best to get it back on the ground on the wheels?

Many Thanks!

fab
05-04-2011, 19:39
Hi,
those are similar to the ones I use and they work just fine.

But yes do use something between the stand and the sill. I use fairly thick squares of rubber,(bout 4cm thick) bought in sheets and cut to size.
Also, If your jack does not have the rubber mat on it then I would use the rubber with the jack also.

As for leaving the car on the stands, I used to leave mine for months on end just to avoid flat-spotting the tyres and never had a problem.

Getting stuck in then? :)

Imperial_16v
05-04-2011, 20:08
Hi,
those are similar to the ones I use and they work just fine.

But yes do use something between the stand and the sill. I use fairly thick squares of rubber,(bout 4cm thick) bought in sheets and cut to size.
Also, If your jack does not have the rubber mat on it then I would use the rubber with the jack also.

As for leaving the car on the stands, I used to leave mine for months on end just to avoid flat-spotting the tyres and never had a problem.

Getting stuck in then? :)

Thanks fab, I will look at getting some rubber to go in-between. :)

Not getting stuck in just yet, still need to buy a Williams first. 8) But I'm working through every single detail so that I'm ready to rock and roll.

I have a 16 page parts list and rebuild guide with prices and links, I've been speaking to companies such as Zircotec for ceramic coating costs, RS Tuning for ECU and mapping costs. Have my Haynes and also the Workshop Manual from here at hand.

So yeah... I think I'm prepared as well as I can be! :lol:

Cheers again!

fab
05-04-2011, 20:47
Do you have a budget in mind for the Willy? I will keep an eye out for you :)

Imperial_16v
06-04-2011, 17:47
Do you have a budget in mind for the Willy? I will keep an eye out for you :)

Cheers!

Ideally around £1k (give or take a bit). As I don't want an absolute gem (which they seem to cost around the £2k mark for a decent example), or one where it needs zero work (i.e. £3k mark). On the flip side, I don't want a rusted lemon!

Something that mechanically needs some attention, but bodywork/structure wise, is good. Interior must be good too. So mileage doesn't matter, service history not totally necessary, but some would be nice.

But like I say, still saving up at the moment. :wink:

Thanks! :)

stevie_b
06-04-2011, 22:44
They look similar to my stands too - I can't remember the make but they look like orange versions of those. Perfectly up to the job.

As fab says, anything you can put between the top of the jack and the sill is good. Rubber is probably pretty ideal but rags or blocks of wood are alternatives that will cause less problems than the metal of the stand itself.

As for how long you can leave it like that, I have left cars for years sitting on stands and never seen any problems as a result - probably better than leaving it standing on its own wheels for a similar length of time in fact!