PDA

View Full Version : Works rally cars

16v_paddy
30-03-2011, 02:16
Being bored & having a thought that really did hurt, I went on a massive googling session looking for some info & the best I could manage was a thread on CS from 2003 but still drawing a blank :evil:

So does anyone know if the Valver works rally cars used the standard inlet or ITB's:?: :anyone:

walters300
30-03-2011, 06:15
isnt there a group n spec full listing on the dialogy that maxi boy put up somewhere, i have the disc somewhere and will have a look, group a would have had itbs but not group n, some help is better than no help! :P

Markic
30-03-2011, 13:45
Maxi cars used ITB's, engines made by Sodemo.

16v_paddy
30-03-2011, 21:44
Well from the bits of info I've found, it's the group A cars used from 1990 to 1992 I'm interested in, the ones with F7P's. I've heard from someone on c16v who has said that the homologation rules at the time didn't allow for non standard inlets to be used.

Also when those rules changed to allow the 2 litre engines to be used I read that Renault weren't allowed to then just whack them into the clio 16v production cars which is why they made the williams as it had to be a completely different car - or something along those lines

I know the maxi's had ITB's but they were using the 2 litre engines.

Atm it would seem I'm back to square 1 :( got 1 person saying ITB's were allowed & 1 saying they weren't :?

robi1000
30-03-2011, 23:18
ITBs were not allowed on a Gr.A Clio back in 92'.

They were only allowed on a Kit-car which technically is Gr.A car, but some sort of subdivision called A7K (A7 is 2L gr.A class and K stands for kitcar), IIRC.

I think as a general rule ITBs are not allowed on gr.A cars even today. I found some schemes that Gr.A Clios from 97' on could be homologated with ITBs, but I'm not sure if that source is 100% reliable.

2 live
30-03-2011, 23:31
from my understanding. at the time they had to have 2500 production cars of the same they were using to rally. hence the williams. the regs had just upped to 2.0, so that was thrown in. and they felt a wider track would be better. so that was thrown on too. left the sunroof out, obv for cage/stregnth purposes. then they went n won the f1 title.....with williams........fantastic advertising time then. even tho williams had nothing to do with the car. the GR.N mk1s used a williams shell, sodemo engine, renaultsport box, the later GR A's used teh williams shell, with maxi kit, sodemo engine, bodies, seq box.

16v_paddy
31-03-2011, 04:38
Well what I'm really trying to get at is if I'm genuinely the 1st to have an ITB'd 1.8 engined clio 8)

So far it's looking like I haven't copied the original works rally clio's :D but I've had an unconfirmed report that someone on CS might have beaten me to it back in the day :evil:

zmaster2k
31-03-2011, 07:27
Yep I think your the first!

Surely there can't be 2 stupid people :-p

16v_paddy
31-03-2011, 08:03
Says her with the silly stuck on orange crap :roll:

:lol:

chip
31-03-2011, 09:22
Ive definately seen clios in local rallying with ITBs and carbs on the 1.8, so no I dont think you are the first.

These days people go straight for the 2.0 engine as its so readily available and is so much better as a basis but ten years ago that wasnt the case so it was relatively common to tune the 1.8 instead.

2 live
31-03-2011, 13:19
Well what I'm really trying to get at is if I'm genuinely the 1st to have an ITB'd 1.8 engined clio 8)

So far it's looking like I haven't copied the original works rally clio's :D but I've had an unconfirmed report that someone on CS might have beaten me to it back in the day :evil:

it has been done before. your a few years too late to be claiming to be the 1st. altho they did see the error of their ways and put in an f7r for better gains.

robi1000
31-03-2011, 14:20

chip
31-03-2011, 14:44

it has been done before. your a few years too late to be claiming to be the 1st. altho they did see the error of their ways and put in an f7r for better gains.

Indeed, definately been done before, back when mk1 clios were common in clubman rallying, although these days most people have moved on not just in terms of the engine (pretty pointless having a 1.8 when you are allowed a 2.0 in the same class for most motorsport) and in terms of the car itself (mk1 is a good car but mk2 is a better basis really)

chip
31-03-2011, 15:33
Hey Paddy, you sure werent the first, but maybe now everyone else has had the sense to move onto the 2 litre engines instead you can claim to be the last?

Evogone
31-03-2011, 18:52

Indeed, definately been done before, back when mk1 clios were common in clubman rallying, although these days most people have moved on not just in terms of the engine (pretty pointless having a 1.8 when you are allowed a 2.0 in the same class for most motorsport) and in terms of the car itself (mk1 is a good car but mk2 is a better basis really)

Mk1 shell is a lot lighter and all the people i know in rallying who have gone to a Mk2 have always say it wasnt worth it....

16v_paddy
31-03-2011, 18:55
Hey Paddy, you sure werent the first, but maybe now everyone else has had the sense to move onto the 2 litre engines instead you can claim to be the last?

Well as long as it keeps me supplied with cheap 1.8's to blow up I'll be happy :P

chip
31-03-2011, 19:02

Mk1 shell is a lot lighter and all the people i know in rallying who have gone to a Mk2 have always say it wasnt worth it....

You're probably right about that mate, but they still made the transition in the first place, so very few mk1's left now in rallying compared to 10 years ago.
And only one pink one, lol