PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

Totti
25-03-2011, 21:08
I wasn't really sure where to put this but I was after some advice from anyone who has worked in the motor trade.

About 3 months ago my wheel bearing went on my car. I replaced this with a genuine part and it was professionally fitted by a technician. A couple of days ago I was driving to work, went round a roundabout and all of a sudden there was a nasty bang and knocking noise. I pulled over and couldn't see anything obvious and limped to my friends garage (the guy who did the work originally). He put it on his ramp and said the wheel bearing had failed so instead of touching it he recommended I got it recovered to the main dealer, which I did.

Once the main dealer received the car he rang me to say that they were going to run a diagnostic on the car with no mention of the price. They said that it had been caused by a lose hub nut (that the RAC guy checked). I argued the case and then they said that they were going to get it on the ramps and investigate the problem further. I received a call saying there is a problem, although it isn't covered under warranty and that now my car is going to cost £560 to be fixed. I said that I wasn't aware that it would cost that amount of money and asked for the car to be put back together and I would collect it. They are now saying the old parts can't be reused and I'm pretty much stuck with the bill and the car in bits on their ramp.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

stevie_b
25-03-2011, 22:59
How old is the car? Is it the manufacturer's warranty, or something you have purchased separately?

Totti
25-03-2011, 23:02
The cars 10 years old and its a parts warranty I'm after for the bearing.

theweekendhaslanded
26-03-2011, 02:52
Hi.

Your actual problem started with the garage that suggested you should get the vehicle recovered & taken to the main dealer. If they carried out the work its them that should have looked after you not the parts supplier/main dealer. We all know that a main dealer will not lift a finger unless their being paid for it. Personally I would go back to the 1st garage with a professional letter stating you want them to liase with the main dealer and sort or pay for what sounds like a total disaster on their part. I have worked for a main dealer and currently work in a similar industry and through experience you only get what you want from putting pen to paper. You need to kick up a fuss and expect to pay nothing at first. Maybe speak to good old citizens advise?? My missus writes professional letters if you need any assistance!! ;)

Laine_16v
26-03-2011, 09:49
Cheapie ebay bearings have a 12 month warranty, so surely genuine renault bearings should at least carry the same?

stevie_b
26-03-2011, 13:44
If it was the technician that sourced the part and fitted it surely any warranty rests with him? Not sure why he told you to take it to the dealer after he had taken a look at the problem on his ramp, unless he was saying that it was not related to the bearing replacement he did? What has the main dealer quoted £560 to actually fix?

zmaster2k
26-03-2011, 15:04
If it was the technician that sourced the part and fitted it surely any warranty rests with him? Not sure why he told you to take it to the dealer after he had taken a look at the problem on his ramp, unless he was saying that it was not related to the bearing replacement he did? What has the main dealer quoted £560 to actually fix?

TOTALLY AGREE