PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting gear Linkage?

scratabout1988
24-03-2011, 21:26
next weekend free's up a bit of time to getting round to a few car jobs. i have my new factory clutch cable and soft clutch conversion to be fitting in order to save my left foot, but i still have the odd random crunch going on into 3rd, and selecting reverse is still abit of a B****!

when i took the car round to a forum user's the other month he reckoned in need to have a play around adjusting the gear linkage to achieve a better selection and possibly eliminate the odd crunch into 3rd?

has anyone got any guides on adjusting gear linkage? :?

fab
24-03-2011, 21:47
Hello Mate.
You need to find the sweet spot and for that it's trial and error. There is no preset position as such.

For me it was put the gear selector rod itself straight down the middle,(when in neutral) tighten and test.
Then move it only a fraction, left or right and when i say a fraction I mean it, until you find your sweet spot, then mark it.

You will get it, but you need to have your linkage in good condition also.

Did you get the bush for the gear selector if it's needed?

scratabout1988
24-03-2011, 22:01
Hello Mate.
You need to find the sweet spot and for that it's trial and error. There is no preset position as such.

For me it was put the gear selector rod itself straight down the middle,(when in neutral) tighten and test.
Then move it only a fraction, left or right and when i say a fraction I mean it, until you find your sweet spot, then mark it.

You will get it, but you need to have your linkage in good condition also.

Did you get the bush for the gear selector if it's needed?

This is beginning to sound like women to me :)

which bush is that?
sorry just haven't managed to get underneath the car in daylight hours to look at the set up just yet,

fab
24-03-2011, 22:25
When you dis-connect the rod off the gearbox end, you have a dangly bit hanging down form the gearbox.
Above this dangly bit there is a rubber. you need to peal this back and you will discover a linkage. if you undo the linkage there is a plastic/nylon washer.
Turned on yet :lol:

If you PM Yanoo he will send you one. See here for more info about this;
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40748

Does your gearstick (in the cabin) sit right in the center or does it tilt left a bit?

scratabout1988
24-03-2011, 23:05
When you dis-connect the rod off the gearbox end, you have a dangly bit hanging down form the gearbox.
Above this dangly bit there is a rubber. you need to peal this back and you will discover a linkage. if you undo the linkage there is a plastic/nylon washer.
Turned on yet :lol:

If you PM Yanoo he will send you one. See here for more info about this;
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40748

Does your gearstick (in the cabin) sit right in the center or does it tilt left a bit?

I was getting excited, but then i read 'dangly bit, rubber, peal, plastic & nylon' all in one sentence. too 'germanic' for me! :lol:

i would say the gear stick sits pretty much in the center, and selects all gears. it's just very hard t go from a forward gear to reverse, plus i'm still really puzzled about this random crunch into 3rd? surely it can't be a synchro if it's not happening all the time? not sure what else it could be apart from linkage?

will check what clevis bar i have anyway and get back to yanoo about that bush, looks a worth-while mod!

fab
24-03-2011, 23:15
when was the clutch last done?

scratabout1988
24-03-2011, 23:55
not sure when the clutch was last done as i've only owned the car since January and i don't have receipt for any work on the clutch,

i have a new clutch kit that came with the race car shell i've just bought so planning to fit that soon as i have time to rip the engine out.

i suppose if the clutch isn't seperating enough then it could cause the crunch? :?

fab
25-03-2011, 00:06
Well with these clutch's you have a number of different area's to look out for.
The clutch itself, the cable (stretching and not seated/routed correctly) and the clutch pedal mechanism itself. There is a rachet also that self adjusts at the pedal and it is recommended they be changed.
Once their done you should be good to go.
The gearbox's get a lot of bad press but TBH they take a lot of beating to brake them.

Wobba
27-03-2011, 21:08
Adjusting gear linkages...my worst nightmare.

Before you mess with it, mark it well with Tippex or something.