PDA

View Full Version : Clutch shaft pivot bush (pic request)

fab
19-03-2011, 19:54
Anyone got a REAL picture of the pivot bush on the clutch shaft(or wherever it sits) Cliokiz maybe?
Ta.

Yanoo_
19-03-2011, 20:21
Anyone got a REAL picture of the pivot bush on the clutch shaft(or wherever it sits) Cliokiz maybe?
Ta.

Do you mean the nylon bush under the clutch fork?

fab
19-03-2011, 20:25
I think so Yanoo.
Have a look at this post..http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37629&highlight=fork

There is a dialogys showing the part as number 26.(bottom of page)

The thing is I dont recall seeing it whan doing the clutch. My fork only goes into the release bearing and nothing else?? could be why my gearbox is squeaking.

schakal
19-03-2011, 20:26
its in here somewhere

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/schakal16v

:P

fab
19-03-2011, 20:38
Is it this thing here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?301699-Clutch-Fork-Pivot-!
?
Third post? or something else?

Yanoo_
19-03-2011, 21:15
Is it this thing here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?301699-Clutch-Fork-Pivot-!
?
Third post? or something else?

Yes, it's that. I have a spare JB5 gearbox at home, will take some pics tomorrow, if you think (I'm just designing a test bench for JB/JC gearboxes :wink:)

fab
19-03-2011, 21:22
Ok thanks chaps. I never replaced or lubed it when doing the clutch, so here comes gearbox out for the third time in as many months!
I have a funny feeling this is causing the squeak on the gearbox as when I depress the pedal the noise does go away.
What I will do is remove the fork and release bearing and refit the box. Start the car and if the noise is gone then it's pretty much that. I think :?

Yanoo_
19-03-2011, 21:40
This bush should be greased during every clutch change. If it's "dry" it can cause squake and hard clutch pedal.

fab
19-03-2011, 22:01
It has to be this causing the squeak Yanoo. The gearbox had no issues before the clutch change. Maybe just maybe I ran my finger over this bush just to see what it was and left it dry :oops: Looking forward to your test bench pics on the JB/JC. Did you see my post "gearbox maintenance"? There are some good links there :wink:

Yanoo_
19-03-2011, 22:30
Surely. A friend of mine had similar issue, it was sorted out after the bush had been greased. Thanks for the links, they seem very useful.

fab
20-03-2011, 14:43
It's gearbox out time again i'm afraid. I could get at the fork bush by taking off the rubber seal. Greased it no difference. Even could move the fork away from the bush and still same squeak/tweet. Knowing that the gearbox was fine before the clutch change it is leaving me with only the clutch pressure plate at this time.
It was a valeo clutch so OEM item I believe, BUT and its a big but, I have noticed there is a big design difference between the 3 different valeo pressure plates I have in the garage.
2 are original items taken from my own car and another willy 1. Even these two slightly differ :? When I get the new one out i am going to compare the 3.
The sound is very much like metal against metal, not so much bearing.

fab
20-03-2011, 19:18
No better way than spend your Sunday afternoon taking a gearbox out of the car :roll:
anyways here is a pic of the 3 pressure plates:

The top one is my original one never changed in the car.

Middle is the one from the willy 1 I broke last year (looks like a replacement plate)

The third is the new one (valeo again) but design changes from the original.

So I'm going to put my original pressure plate and clutch disk back in and see if there is any change.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/cluthplates-1.jpg

cliokiz
21-03-2011, 09:40
If the gearbox is squeaking even before you depress the pedal, then i doubt it's the pivot bush

If it's squeaking as you press the pedal, it could be the cable (especially when hot), but if you didn't lube up the recess in the clutch fork then this will probably be squeaking on the nylon bush. I usually apply quite a large amount of CV grease in there!

Rather than putting a used clutch pressure plate in there, have you tried a new one?

fab
21-03-2011, 09:52
thats the think kiz, this started happening ever since the new plate went in and on 2 different gearbox's aswell!
I'm heading down to the garage now and will report back later on.

cliokiz
21-03-2011, 09:59
Try and find out exactly when the squeaking happens and get back to me, might not even be gearbox related.

fab
21-03-2011, 11:25
Happens on idle (out of gear clutch off). Press the clutch in (no gears selected) and squeak goes away.
Let off clutch and momentarily no squeak. Pump the clutch and the squeak comes in and out.

cliokiz
21-03-2011, 11:31
So when the car is just idling in neutral and you have your foot nowhere near the clutch pedal, it's squeaking?

When you press the clutch it goes away?

fab
21-03-2011, 12:57
^Thats affirmative.

Old pressure plate gone back in with new disk and guess what??

Squeak gone!!!!!!!!!!1 :D :D :D

Guess who sold me the clutch pressure plate..no not schaks :P my brother! :evil:

cliokiz
21-03-2011, 13:07
Bizarre.. can't say i've ever heard of one squeaking.

Did you grease the input shaft on the gearbox?

fab
21-03-2011, 13:41
Yes three times!
What a complete waste of time and energy. Had the box off three times because of that squeak never thinking oh maybe its the "new" pressure plate causing the problem.
Slip the old one back in and bingo!
Look at the photos above Kiz, All valeo plates but the design has changed from the original. Bizarre is putting it mildly, i'm rightly pissed off.

fab
21-03-2011, 16:46
Just done a check on the part number..tagged as Valeo 183526 which maps to OE number 7701466296 which is off a Renault 5! cnuts!

cliokiz
21-03-2011, 16:53
They're pretty much the same between the 5 and the F7 series so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

It's probably just faulty or something

fab
21-03-2011, 19:17
I put the old one back in which was fine to begin with. changed the disk though so all's good. I'm happy.
see you
fab.

fab
22-03-2011, 13:00
:cry:
My enthusiasm and patience is running out with this.
The tweat/squeak is back. I'm hearing it in first gear aswell. Must be something in the box or the clutch disk.

cliokiz
22-03-2011, 13:15
This is really bizarre.. are you sure it's actually coming from the gearbox/clutch?

fab
22-03-2011, 13:36
Yes as far as i can tell it is. Seems louder when the airbox is out of the way and you can see the fork. Remember it goes away as soon as you press in the clutch pedal.
thinking out loud here but here goes;
When the clutch is off (not pressing pedal),
the only items that should be turning are the Clutch Plate,Disk and obviously the flywheel. Is this correct?
Does the shaft spin also when in neutral??

Press the clutch and the disk grabs the flywheel and stops the shaft from spinning. Is this correct?

2 live
22-03-2011, 18:56
release bearing been changed??

fab
22-03-2011, 20:47
Yep 2live it was a complete kit.
Just put the old clutch disk and release bearing back in and all seems quite. Will know better tomorrow when I have her down on her wheels. 2 clutch changes in 2 days is taking its toll on me and the car!
Looking like incompatible or faulty clutch disk.

2 live
22-03-2011, 21:08
or dodgy release bearing ;)

fab
22-03-2011, 23:02
release bearing I swapped around with the older one and made no difference.
When you listen underneath where that little gap is between the gearbox and engine (left of the gear selector) you can hear it better.
anyways old clutch back in and same story. so seems as if it's something in the gearbox. my heads wrecked! :)

fab
24-03-2011, 17:30
Just wanna put this one to bed cause I've probably driven everyone banana's!

I lubed up just about everywhere (except the plate of course) and its finally sorted. Only tweats I hear now are the birds outside:D

I think it was where the release bearing touch's the pressure plate. The instructions dont tell you to loob that area do they!!

so thanks to everyone and as ever I could not have done it without YOU'S!

cliokiz
24-03-2011, 17:31
Ahhhhh man i didn't think of that!

Strange one eh!

fab
24-03-2011, 18:44
kiz you were correct :oops: fair play.
BUT i did put the third clutch in there from the willy 1 cause it was fairly new and a genuine clutch with reno numbers, so maybe just maybe? :P :)