PDA

View Full Version : Trouble restarting after running out of fuel

GabrielKnight
07-03-2011, 14:11
Stupid I know, but I think I ran out of fuel. From stationary, the car wouldn't consider turning over, no sound at all when turning the key. Have put in another 3 litres of petrol but still nothing.

After Googling, it appears some cars have an automatic cut off if the fuel gets too low. Other sites talk about a fuel reset switch that have to be pushed after refilling. Is this the case with the Williams?

jay s
07-03-2011, 14:19
if they run dry you need to put at least 10 litres in to get it started straight away. other option is to put 5 litres in and crank the car for 60 secs, this will pump the 5 litres from the aux tank to the main tank :D

GabrielKnight
07-03-2011, 14:31
The car doesn't even try to turn over. I'll put more fuel in but was just wondering if there was a simple reset switch (that some cars trip if the fuel gets too low) before I tried other things?

Have tried jumpstarting and starting the car while rolling down hill just in case the battery was low, but with no joy, just won't start to turn over. Like something's tripped.

Tommo
07-03-2011, 16:11
There's no automatic fuel cut off on the Williams as far as I know. I have ran out of petrol twice in mine and has always started after putting more fuel in it. Sounds like something else is wrong if it's not turning over.

chip
07-03-2011, 18:18
Not turning over is nothing to do with fuel, its a wiring fault, a starter fault or an immobiliser issue I should think.

If it doesnt start on a tow, then that means its not just a starter fault.

Wobba
07-03-2011, 20:00
Immobiliser.