PDA

View Full Version : Big Thank you to Cliolord ( but my problems continue lol )

jay s
05-03-2011, 19:21
as some may know the Headgasket on VLF went pop in January due to detonation ( my fault as car is mapped for 99 and i ran it on 95 plus it was running lean :roll: ). I thought about attempting to change it myself but decided against it due to not wanting to mess about with cam timing etc. Before the headgasket had gone i wanted to take the car to gaz for him to do some bits on as i was very very impressed with his quality of work that i had seen in photos ( snowmans, jrt, jgx, etc etc ) so while having a chat with gaz on msn one night he offered to do the headgasket along with the cam timing and a list of other jobs that needed doing all at once for a very good price if i could get the car to him in Bristol ( i live in london ).
i used a site called shipley on gazs recommendation to arrange for someone to collect my car and deliver it to him in Bristol , within 2 weeks i had a quote for £100 delivered 123 miles away :D

The list of jobs for clio lord went something like this :

Remove head, replace ****ed bga gasket and replace with much better payen item :D
check and adjust cam timing to piper specs to open up the top end of the rev range.
Realign exhaust system
Remove stuck and leaking supersprint manifold, seal and refit
fit new ball joint
fit rear brake calipers
adjust bias valve/ brake loads
bleed whole braking system
find and fix an annoying oil leak at the front of the block
fit and adjust a new tps
fill with £20 of v-power :lol:

so the car arrived with gaz on a Wednesday afternoon and and i get a text to say car has arrived safely and that he will be starting work on it straight away :D Wednesday night i gave him a call to see how he was getting on, was very pleased to hear that the head had just been removed and indeed the shitty bga gasket had blown between cyl 1-2 ( comp was 110, 100, 192, 190 ). He also informed me that he was able to remove the downpipe from the manifold :D ( i had massive problems trying to get this off in the past so just left it be ). Told gaz to call it a night then as it must of been 9:00pm lol.

Before removing the head gaz checked the cam timing of the cams in case any changes that were made ended up being worse. checked at tdc with a dti gauge the inlet cam had 2.95mm lift at tdc :shock: exh wasn't so bad at 1.7mm at tdc. std piper figures are 2.18mm for both cams , so the timing was out quite abit it seems......

Thursday night i get a call from gaz to say he has fitted most of the head back on and its almost ready to start up :D . While doing the timing to my request of std piper figures he came across something strange, while tensioning the cam belt the cams would actually start to turn a little leading to the timing being out, normally this wouldn't happen but for some reason it was on my cams. The way he had to do it was get the belt to the correct tension then set the timing or something like that, sure he will explain if need be :wink: ( was very happy i didn't attempt it at this point lol )

Friday morning i get a call from a very happy sounding gaz to say its ALIVE :D was very happy to hear that, also the manifold was sealed and no longer blowing :twisted: he said he is gonna finish off the rest of the jobs that i have requested and get back to me if there is any problems :D

Over the next few days gaz got on with completing the jobs to a very very high standard, fitted my new rear calipers as one was seized and balanced them both to 100kg effort each. On the fronts he came up with a problem, the front passenger side wilwood was giving 190kg effort but drivers side was 120kg leading to very uneven braking. I knew the pads were very low on the front so this was more than likely the cause and i said i will bring a new set when i come to collect the car to see if it cures it which it did, was 200kg per side with fresh pads :D Brakes are unreal now btw mate :wink:
I had a random knocking sounding coming from the passenger side of the car that i wanted him to find, sounding like it was a ball joint knock i got him to change the ball joint. unfortunately the knock was still there so he investigated further and found the bracket that holds the dogbone to the gearbox was was loose... tightened it up and knock was gone along with engine now feeling solid :D

Get a call from on the Tuesday to say everything is done and the car is ready to collect so i booked my train ticket for bristol and off i went on the Saturday...
Got to the station to be greeted by ronnie (clio-girl) in her hybrid to take me to gazs garage :D , arrived at the garage and see my car. first thing i noticed is how clean and shiny it was, he had given is a full clean and polish :D Got talking with gaz and then he lifted the bonnet, my god it looks clean under there, gaz had cleaned all the shit off from the under skin of the bonnet and polished that as well along with a full steam clean of the eng bay as it was previously covered in a load of oil etc. looks brand new now tho :D
Then went for a drive with gaz, i was hesitant to push the car hard as i knew it was previously running lean but when we had a vxr ring ed trying to overtake us i couldn't resist the urge after being away for so long :mrgreen: even with 2 of us on board it easily pulled away from the lard arse vauxhall :lol: but i did have my eye on that afr gauge which showed lack of fuel at the top of the rev range :cry:

knowing the car wasn't at its best fuel wise i went easy on it just cruising most of the time. got back to the garage and had a chat with gaz about what to do about the map as mat ( zmaster ) had just had his mapped by kj and got good results i decided to see if he could do it... spent the rest of the day at the garage with gaz and ronnie sorting little bits on the car etc. he wouldn't let me leave untill everything was 110% :D then made my way happily home in the night. just took it easy most of the way home but on the little times i did put my foot down the car was fast, very fast in fact. was easy to tell that something had changed :D Car drove the 123miles perfect without a hiccup. got home and lifted the bonnet to check if all was well and it was absolutely PERFECT :twisted:

I have been over the moon with the work gaz has done on the car and would highly recommend him to anyone who needs work done on there car by a very skilled mechanic with anal attention to detail :lol: seriously mate you've given my car a new lease of life 8) driven 1200miles since the work has been done and all is well ish.... ( everything you done has been perfect lol)

OK on to the problem now

i needed the car mapping asap to sort the lean issue and make sure its not deting still. i spoke to kj about mapping but unfortunately he was fully booked untill April :( i didn't want to risk waiting till then so decided to give Paul at rs tuning (Leeds) a bell to see if he was able to do it. I told him Ive changed the timing and it is running lean, said it was about 14.5/15.0 at the top of rev range at full throttle and he said that is very bad and to get it to him asap. would cost £100+vat to adjust the map where needed , bonus :D he had no Saturdays available for a long time but said he can do it any day in the week so i took yesterday off and set out on a 202mile journey to Leeds :D

Arrived at rs tuning and Paul got the cars straight on the rollers to see what it was doing, when i 1st got the car mapped by him last year it made 170bhp 148lb/ft on his rollers so we pulled up that graph to see if changing the timing had made any difference where i wanted, before the cam was tailing off to early at 6k, should be at least 7k with the spec of the cams. ran it on the rollers and it made 168bhp , didn't see torque till end. but the afrs were all over the place running lean through most of the rev range and loads up top. Paul hooked up his equipment and set about mapping the fueling on the rollers .

Everything was going fine and the car started making more power then Paul said we have a problem , we are maxing out the injectors at max duty cycles and they wont provide anymore fuel at 5.6krpm :shock: now this is a problem as i still have another 2k to go nearly ( 7.3k limit) seems the tiny 191cc are no good for me anymore :lol: Anyway at this point the car is making 174bhp 156lb/ft at 5.6k. had a word with Paul what to do and he said the only thing he can do to make it 100% safe is set a 5.5k limit lol other than that don't rev it at all in that rev range as afr is very dangerous up there on full throttle.

Luckily while the car was with gaz i went shopping and got myself an omex 600 but was planning on doing it at a later date but i now have to get it fitted with a decent set of injectors asap and end this fueling bollocks for good. good times ahead :twisted:

Sorry for the essay but thought id let everyone know whats happening with the car :D

Before and after graphs from yesterday
Red is before when i had it mapped with my old cam timing
Green is now with new timing maxing injectors..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/scan0005Large-1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/scan0006Large.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/012-1.jpg

robi1000
05-03-2011, 23:09
http://likesirl.com/images/logo.png

northy
07-03-2011, 08:53
nice write up jay

jay s
07-03-2011, 14:08
Cheers lads, will say again he did an excellent job and is very competent :D

Was all going good until some arsehole decided to take a penalty kick on my drivers door yesterday leaving a massive dent in it ,I now need a new door. what makes it worse is i was only round the corner from the car and heard a loud bang but thought nothing of it until i went to get in and couldn't unlock the door..... wish i had got my hands on who ever done it :evil:

the now scrap metal :roll: :cry:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01162.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01163.jpg

Smokey McPot
07-03-2011, 14:33
Kin hell. They must have put some effort in to make the dent around the handle and lock... :(

Wobba
07-03-2011, 15:16
Nice one mate! Keep the love alive man :D

I went with some Saab 350cc (roughly) injectors in the end as I knew the power would be too much for OE Megane ones. Make sure the can handle the injectors you get. Some like high impedence.

sideways danny
07-03-2011, 17:10

I went with some Saab 350cc (roughly) injectors in the end as I knew the power would be too much for OE Megane ones. Make sure the can handle the injectors you get. Some like high impedence.

lol, mixing your tech terms a bit there.

standard ECU needs low impedence injectors, majority of aftermarket ECU's need low impedence or the ignition drivers will overheat and burn out.

Mathematically, stock megane F7R injectors are maxed at 184bhp, and stock williams/valver injectors are maxed at 168bhp. You can normally squeeze a little more out but they'll be running wide open and you'll lean out as you climb the revs/bhp curve.

sideways danny
07-03-2011, 17:11
nasty dent by the way Jay, your cars always looked lovely, thats horrible

chip
07-03-2011, 17:21

lol, mixing your tech terms a bit there.

standard ECU needs low impedence injectors, majority of aftermarket ECU's need low impedence or the ignition drivers will overheat and burn out.

Mathematically, stock megane F7R injectors are maxed at 184bhp, and stock williams/valver injectors are maxed at 168bhp. You can normally squeeze a little more out but they'll be running wide open and you'll lean out as you climb the revs/bhp curve.

You mean high there not low I assume?

As its low impedance injectors that take more current draw than high.

sideways danny
07-03-2011, 17:23
typo. Aftermarket use High imp

chip
07-03-2011, 18:11
typo. Aftermarket use High imp

Cool, just thought I would correct it so it actually made sense even if its still a bit of an innacurate sweeping generalisation even after editing to make sense. LOL

The reality is that lots of aftermarket ecu's these days though are happy with high or low impedance, with my Autronic SM4 for example it is software selectable (ie no nasty ballast resistors or anything like that) and will work with either types, so the sweeping generalisation is a bit misplaced in that instance for example, but its correct for some of the budget stuff like Omex to a certain extent (although if you want low impedance then Omex recomend use of the nasty ballast resistors they flog for a fiver each so even then it actaully can still be done anyway although I wouldnt personally recomend it as it slows them down), depends what sort of variety of ECU's you are used to mapping I guess.

jay s
07-03-2011, 18:19
had a go at tidying the door today, looks a little more reasonable for now :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01165.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01166.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01167.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01168.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/DSC01169.jpg

Concerning the car i will be using a set of high impedance injectors for the omex, which ones i dont know but ktec use 440cc injectors with there kit but this seesm a bit overkill ??

sideways danny
07-03-2011, 18:31
440cc are pretty big. They're not too bad to use if you use a sensible resolution, but using something more appropriate for your spec would make sense. Wobbas for example were running at almost spot on 80% at the top of the revs, so perfectly sized. I'll dig something up and work out what you need and what would be in the right range for you. Not planning high comp and ITBs are you?

chip
07-03-2011, 18:31
440cc are roughly what I would be looking at for a 300bhp engine so are certainly bigger than you need but thats not really the end of the world.
Ive got 400 ish ones in mine and it works fine.

Which Omex are you going to be using by the way (apologies if its already been mentioned I only skim read the thread)?

If its a 710 then it will run sequential fuelling so you can get away with really big injectors without a problem, but if you are on a 600 then your looking at semi sequential only so you are a bit limited in terms of how big you can go before you end up with little resolution at idle etc. (although lets face it none of us are likely to care much about hydrocarbons or co2 emissions etc, lol)

Laine_16v
07-03-2011, 18:44
No cam sensor = no sequential.

chip
07-03-2011, 18:46
No cam sensor = no sequential.

Indeed, although obviously very easy to add to a F7R as it has a distributor so you already have an output on the cam to drive a cam sensor from.

But yes good point to make that its not just plug and play to do that, it does require a little fabrication, I sometimes forget that not everyone is used to doing stuff like that!

jay s
07-03-2011, 19:16
440cc are pretty big. They're not too bad to use if you use a sensible resolution, but using something more appropriate for your spec would make sense. Wobbas for example were running at almost spot on 80% at the top of the revs, so perfectly sized. I'll dig something up and work out what you need and what would be in the right range for you. Not planning high comp and ITBs are you?

that would be excellent danny :D its very likely that i will be fitting a set of at bodies sometime later in the year. high comp is a maybe, depending on how much longer this 152k bottom end wants to go on :lol: ( it shows no signs of letting go at the sec, uses/burns no oil at all :D )

jay s
07-03-2011, 19:18
440cc are roughly what I would be looking at for a 300bhp engine so are certainly bigger than you need but thats not really the end of the world.

Which Omex are you going to be using by the way (apologies if its already been mentioned I only skim read the thread)?

If its a 710 then it will run sequential fuelling so you can get away with really big injectors without a problem, but if you are on a 600 then your looking at semi sequential only so you are a bit limited in terms of how big you can go before you end up with little resolution at idle etc. (although lets face it none of us are likely to care much about hydrocarbons or co2 emissions etc, lol)

I Have a Omex 600 ecu , pretty sure it will cover everything i need and seems to be light years ahead of the std ecu I'm currently using :D

Wobba
07-03-2011, 20:03
Yea I got mixed up on the injectors. Was a bit distracted today at work :D

Nice job on the door Jay. Lucky there is no sill damage! Could be worse.

bass_direct
07-03-2011, 20:52
Door doesn't look tooo bad now, can't wait till I get my car back from Cliolord.. it's in very safe hands!

chip
08-03-2011, 00:01

I Have a Omex 600 ecu , pretty sure it will cover everything i need and seems to be light years ahead of the std ecu I'm currently using :D

Yes mate, compared to the antique on the car as standard its a massive leap forward :D