PDA

View Full Version : Clutch release bearing (revisited)

fab
05-03-2011, 11:47
A clutch release bearing that rattles. Some of us have it some of us don't. Maybe you can shed some light on this one. Before replacing clutch everything was hunky dory.
Here is what I've done.
Undid gearbox and swapped out pressure plate and disk for new genuine valeo items including release bearing. Greased the shaft using the provided grease packet.The rattles began.
Undid gearbox to make sure release bearing was on the fork correctly and it was.
Swapped out clutch cable and still same. (and it's routed correctly)
Put back in the old release bearing and still the same rattle.
Changed gearbox and still the same.
:?

So going over some old posts, and I found different response's. Some said that the same happens on volvo's when they are new? Other's live with it.

But I can't help feeling that I've done something wrong. Can't be right having a rattle on the release bearing can it?

Anyone able to shed some light on this strange phenomenon? :)

Coops
05-03-2011, 11:49
one i usually get on the turbo is input shaft rattle, so dodgy gearbox bearings

possible you've had two boxes both with those issues

if it was brand new release bearing its unlikely to be that

fab
05-03-2011, 13:11
yep saw your old post on the shaft issue Coops and I guess anything is possible but cant help to wonder why it did not rattle originally before swapping out the clutch parts?

If I press the clutch pedal and let go it stop's the rattle so this kinda leads me to think that the clutch plate is not going back into position correctly (some of the time)

I should point out that i have 2 forks and both are identical.

fab
05-03-2011, 19:56
Right then think I have it narrowed down. If it's a rattle it's the clutch release bearing. If it's a squeak/tweeting type sound that goes away if you hold down the clutch then it's the input shaft bearing, which is what I have. So gotta get my finger out and get one of these gearbox's sorted :roll:

Not a complete waste of time today. On my travels I found this; Brand new cable from reno only done 40miles or so.FFS! No wonder I was having trouble getting it into gear as the ratchet at the pedal wasn't tightening correctly. Sorted it out anyway.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Other%20Images/clutch-cable.gif