PDA

View Full Version : paddle clutches experiences?

diditno
01-03-2011, 18:46
ive got to change the clutch in the willy turbo, its currently running 250 nm and killing the clutch in it, i need to getting the mapping sorted so will hopefully be running more boost and power and doubt an organic clutch will be any good. ive had a look at these,

http://www.performanceclutch.co.uk/p0/20ltr-16v-sport-172-rs-2000/240400.htm

but i dont know what they would be like in everyday driving, ie traffic. any one run one, and if so, how are they to live with day to day.

many thanks

p.s. i know the one listed is for a 172, but thats what flywheel im running.

shag
01-03-2011, 19:30
There hard work for everyday use i had 1 in my 350BHP pulsar a while ago
launching theres nothing better but in traffic a disaster but everythings an experiance give 1 ago see what you think
Good luck lol

Justin..
01-03-2011, 20:14
Had an OMP (friction plate and clamping plate) one on my turbo was good, didnt slip with 12 psi of boost on a low comp F7R. Was a bit heavy under the foot though and I used to use every day in traffic

chip
02-03-2011, 00:10
Im not a fan of paddle clutches but they are a necessary evil on turbo cars normally.

The twin plate paddle in my nova is like a fecking on/off switch, lol

sideways danny
02-03-2011, 00:31
Driven a lot of 172s with that clutch, both N/A and boosted, and they're actually quite friendly. I would suggest doing a soft pedal conversion would be a good idea at the same time, then it would feel exactly like the mk2's and i can vouch for those with that clutch

diditno
02-03-2011, 00:52
thanks danny. ive got a soft pedal conversion anyway, so if it feels the same as driving a normal 172, then great. i was just concerned about cfreeping around in traffic.

walters300
02-03-2011, 00:58
when i first got my turbo with a paddle clutch it was horrible to drive, the addition of the soft pedal conversion completely changed the drivability, it now feels like the clutch on a standard car and its a huge difference,

chip
02-03-2011, 00:59
Thats not quite what he said, what he said is a soft pedal conversion in the mk1 would make it feel the same as mk2 with any given clutch, and that the mk2 with a paddle was bearable, he didnt say it still felt like normal, it doesnt, he just said "quite friendly"

Once you are used to it, it wont be too bad, but bear in mind that they really dont last long if you have to slip them a lot in traffic, its not what they are designed for.

walters300
02-03-2011, 01:21
chip, i find mine is lovely and light like a 11 plate mondeo or something, i couldnt beleive the difference the soft pedal made, the car was bearly driveable before that, dont know the affect it has on the longevitivy but its definitly worth it unless your on a track all the time, my clutch is the low boost bb tuning paddle clutch so i dont know if something more hard core would be stiff and terrible for daily use :wink:

Coops
02-03-2011, 01:26
i run a helix one, given my opinion on it loads of times

feel is great, and you can slip it, been doing it for 3 years now and its still got a bit of meat on it! :-) :lol:

its not ideal in traffic, you have to raise the revs and launch it really as chip mentions, i only really slip it when reversing and parking etc, otherwise its hard to maneuver! in traffic i tend to let cars pull off a bit, then get it moving and idle along with clutch fully engaged as much as i can

in a daily car i dont think i'd cope with it, but its overall nowhere near as harsh as i thought it would be and a hell of a lot more user friendly than the god awful 5GTT uprated clutches people use

diditno
02-03-2011, 01:29
thanks people