PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

Wobba
27-02-2011, 13:08
Anyone tried these yet?

I will be looking to replace my R1R's soon. They are a great tyre but wear rate is not that good :( Then again, I have had them for over a year and used everyday, and one track day so maybe I am wrong.

The AD08's are a similar kind of tyre but speaking to a GT3 owner that has used these on several track days on one set and a load of normal driving, reckons they wear very well.

Other option is the Kumhoes...cheap and dirty, but I may slap a set on my spare track wheels and see how they go. What's the stiffness of the side walls like with these? They wallowy at all?

Wobba
27-02-2011, 13:09
Oh, here are the Advans:

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/jakethemoss/YokoNeovaAD08_2.jpg

zmaster2k
27-02-2011, 14:22
Friend of mine runs these on his Integra, rates them very highly... but same sorta money as the R1Rs

Wobba
27-02-2011, 14:28
Yes, they are about the same price, I just like to try new stuff :)

The Federal RSR's are supposed to be comparable to the R888 but less cost and better wet weather grip...downside is a tiny bit less dry grip...not an issue for me anyway.

Laine_16v
27-02-2011, 14:32
Im going to give the federals a shot too.

Wobba
27-02-2011, 14:38

Cool! Well, definitely write a report on them after you've had them a while dude. Always good to get feedback from Clio owners.

zmaster2k
27-02-2011, 14:39
If i had the cash i think thats what im gonna go for tbh! So far found em for £66 each at Tyre Traders...anybody beat that!?

simonr85
27-02-2011, 14:47
i had just put these on my williams before i blew 2 engines up in a week, i have probably not even done 500miles on them and they felt like the best tires i have ever had, the guy who fitted them was really impressed with how well they balanced and the inside lip of the tyre etc, oh and i only really used them in wet conditions and they were as good as my eagle f1s in the dry

Wobba
27-02-2011, 16:16
i had just put these on my williams before i blew 2 engines up in a week, i have probably not even done 500miles on them and they felt like the best tires i have ever had, the guy who fitted them was really impressed with how well they balanced and the inside lip of the tyre etc, oh and i only really used them in wet conditions and they were as good as my eagle f1s in the dry

The Advans?

cliorod
27-02-2011, 20:24
Just put a pair on the "for sale" section :lol: :lol:

willyturb0
27-02-2011, 22:44
I've got them on my clio. Not done that many miles (less than a thousand) but pretty impressed. Good stiff side walls, and not as bad as r888s on wet roads.
I'll come back when they've been given a bit more stick.

Wobba
28-02-2011, 00:11
I've got them on my clio. Not done that many miles (less than a thousand) but pretty impressed. Good stiff side walls, and not as bad as r888s on wet roads.
I'll come back when they've been given a bit more stick.

Yes please do let us know. I imagine they may be similar to the R1R's in terms of grip but be nice to get an opinion.

jay s
28-02-2011, 00:52
hankook rs2's , just as good as r888 but half the price :D ( midge had one on his hybrid today at brands hatch and the hankook gave just as much grip as the toyo )

willyturb0
04-05-2011, 19:53
Wobba,

tires had plenty of stick now, and are plenty grippy enough. Best set i'd had on the car before these were exalto 2s but these seem alot more fun in the dry. Havent used the car much in the wet. seen you have bought a set now.

Wobba
04-05-2011, 21:24
LOL I had mine fitted today at lunchtime!

So far, good stuff, though not really had a chance to test them for grip. They are much less harsh than my R1R's. On the way home over some of the usual potholes I was getting ready for the usual crashing and teeth rattling ride, but the Yoko's definitely softened the usual impact. Car felt great tbh!

Will monitor for wear and overall performance now :D

Wobba
09-05-2011, 22:32
Going to write a report on these in a week or two.

Tested extreme wet weather conditions now, and hard dry road driving too.

I checked the tyre pressure the other day and they were uneven, front offside was at 39 psi and nearside about 37. Rears seemed too high n all.

16v_paddy
09-05-2011, 22:35
I just like to try new stuff :)

With me around, is that statement brave or foolish? :twisted:

fab
09-05-2011, 22:55
Going to write a report on these in a week or two.

Tested extreme wet weather conditions now, and hard dry road driving too.

I checked the tyre pressure the other day and they were uneven, front offside was at 39 psi and nearside about 37. Rears seemed too high n all.

Hurry on there young lad.. :)
there as cheap as chips from earsmotorsport on ebay with standard willy fitment.
i'm gonna be needing new boots...

fab
23-05-2011, 16:03
So Wobba, went over your opinion on these tyres and I guess it would be fair to say your not impressed with them?
Besides not sitting well in your arch's (which could be well attributed to your lower than standard ride height) you felt they understeered too much also?
Ah well thats a shame, but I reckon ditch finders they aint, however your on the hunt for something a bit more hardcore. 300 miles is early days no?
Would it be fair to say also that Yokohama are hit and miss when it comes to tyre selection ?
Thanks for the feedback. :wink:

Wobba
26-05-2011, 10:06
300 Miles is a bit early and I may change my opinion.

They are definitely more comfortable than R1R's, they give better wet weather control and traction, they are not as noisy.

They don't give as good grip as R1R (let alone R888's) in the dry, but I think compared to normal or even 'performance' tyres they still give a relatively good overall grip.

They don't look as good as the R1R.

I've had them squealing on fast road driving, something I never really got with the Toyo BUT I think my settings were all out, way too much toe out and negative camber on the inside wheel. This is now rectified so I just have a small amount of toe out on each side and a measured and even negative camber on both sides (not as much as before, but still visibly more than stock).

I've swapped over the front and rears as I was noticing they had not balanced the fronts very well and it shook a bit on motorway.

I may be able to give them a hard test again this weekend on my way to Brighton.

Markic
26-05-2011, 11:59

PLEASE DON'T YOU'LL BE THROWING YOUR MONEY IN THE WIND, OR KILL YOURSELF MATE.

Markic
26-05-2011, 12:06
Regarding Federal SS595, I had them on my Punto GT2 and they were horrible. They were quite good for the first 3000 miles, and then they became like plastic, horrible lose of grip, and I even almost killed myself with them on the wet, and I was even driving very slowly.
Is this the tyre you want to buy? Here is the picture of them on my GT

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/Markicgti/14062009267.jpg?t=1306407899

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/Markicgti/14062009268.jpg?t=1306407898

Wobba
26-05-2011, 23:17
Back to AD08's. I need to rethink my comments with the understeer. Actually, on bends, as I have a lot of negative compared to a normal car, I actually INCREASE grip into bends and the contact patch to the road and tyre increase as I go round a bend, so actually I get a kind of (hard to explain) sudden jolt of oversteer as the front is gripping more as I turn the whel on a bend, but at a much later point than a standard car. It can be quite unnerving, especially if I am chucking the car about a lot as it gets unsettled.

It's fine for long fast sweeping bends but not so good for sudden tight fast bends as I tend to be expecting bit if undertsteer and overcompensate and then get a bunch of oversteer, which means I instinctively back off a bit thus not actually go any faster (if not slower).

fab
27-05-2011, 09:19
Whens the last time you got the tracking done? You have a whole lot of fancy buttons on your suspension, heaven knows what youve dialed in :) Get us a print out of the setup if you can.
Have a nice day!

Wobba
27-05-2011, 09:24
I will get the tracking done, but I do tend to find they never know what to do with my car as it's got so many buttons, as you say. Last time they reset the camber but I hated it.afir0002

LEIGH-ANNE
27-05-2011, 14:05
I got him a very cheap geometry setup.....he hated it :roll:

Wobba
27-05-2011, 14:44
I had it done again since then, it wasn't right so I set it up myself to my preferences again, but I left the tracking itself alone. A worn inner track rod balljoint didn't help.

fab
27-05-2011, 15:43
I got him a very cheap geometry setup.....he hated it :roll:

You know what us men are like..about cars we gotta feel we know and do everything :wink: