PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel Bearing

jamiecrookston83
24-02-2011, 22:09
How easy is it to replace a front wheel bearing?

Coops
24-02-2011, 22:20
fairly easy if you have a press

whip hub off, press out old bearing and press in new one :-)

if u havent got a press take hub off and take to a garage with ur new bearing, they should press old out and fit new for tenner or so

16v_paddy
24-02-2011, 22:22
Easy if you have a press, if not, just remove the hub, take it to a garage with a new bearing & ask 1 of the grease monkeys to do it for you, give him a tenner to get himself a drink & job's a good un :wink:

16v_paddy
24-02-2011, 22:22
Too slow dammit!! :evil:

jamiecrookston83
24-02-2011, 22:23
Cheers Guys That will be my plan of action then. I think i'm going to get both of them done at once.

Coops
24-02-2011, 23:07
Too slow dammit!! :evil:

not for the first or the last time ;-)

scratabout1988
25-02-2011, 00:00
i did my fronts the other week,

luckily i have cylindrical bits of brass that are the same diameters of the in the and outer races which i made up on a lathe so good for bashing! but you can use sockets.

bash the old bearing out carefully, the inner always comes out first and the outer usually gets stuck in the carrier. sometimes a little heat with a blow torch ofter helps get the outer race out but brute force also helps.

clean up with the dremel brush inside, then i usually heat the carrier up a little the start pushing the new bearing in, making sure i only tap the outer race as the bearings between the races are brittle and can crack.

once pushed all the way in, circlip in and jobs-a-guden! :wink: