PDA

View Full Version : Willy 1 Issues?

waallen
22-02-2011, 18:19
Hi I just bought a Williams 1 with a partly rebuilt engine, with a lot of help from a guy that knows a bit more about these cars than I do I managed to finish the rebuild and the car now runs YAY! of course as soon as you get a project like this working you always seem to uncover loads more problems:-

1) The engine had a big end re-build at APD about 2000 miles ago and will now only run on a 16v ECU when I plug a willy ECU in it ticks over but will not rev at all! just sounds like its running on 3 cylinders cant understand whats causing this!

2) the engine ticks over at 2000 revs all the time! it didnt do this to begin with and just slowly got worse and worse - checked throttle cable, idle control valve and throttle position sensor. What else could be causing this?

3) I have done about 100 miles in the car since we finished and it still sounds like an N reg Fiesta - SO Ticky. I presume this is tappets do you think they will quieten down??

would really appreciate your comments :D

MatBrown
22-02-2011, 19:11
Hi Will.

Wobba
22-02-2011, 23:01
Does it idle at 2k with the Willy ECU? Why are you using a valver ECU? I am guessing it has a chipped F7R EPROM right?

How do you men, the idle gets worse. Is this over a while running, or you mean over the last few weeks/months?

What else typically causes this kind of thing:

Air leaks: Leaking inlet manifold/pipes/ISCV/throttle body.

Check all the little hoses for leaks. Also, remove airbox and put hand over the pipe that goes to the ISCV when idling. Engine should stall as it shouldn't be getting oxygen to engine. If not, probable air leak.

Blown ECU: I have three blown ECU's here...all of them give me 2k idle. Not uncommon.

Bad electrical earths: Run a direct earth wire from engine to battery.

Crank sensors can cause some funny things but it's probably not that.

Blown headgasket. Head off time. Replace tappets at same time :) How long have they been super noisey for?

waallen
23-02-2011, 16:04
Hi Wobba - Thanks for the help!

I put my hand over the ISCV pipe and the engine did not stall - ill check for leaks when its back from the bodyshop!

I spoke to the previous owner of the car to try and work out why it was running on a seemingly standard valver ECU - he told me that the engine went to APD for a big end rebuild and when it came back it would only run on a valver ECU we opened the 16v ECU up and it looks standard, it runs really well!

when you plug the willy ECU in it still idles high but sounds like its overfueling/hesitating when you try and rev it. cant get my head round it.

Tappets have been noisy since we got it running (100 Miles) im thinking they need replacing what sort of a job is this/what is the cost?

waallen
23-02-2011, 16:06
And Hi Mat

Iv got another list of bits i need from you LOL never ending.