PDA

View Full Version : Remove / replace rear bootlid / tail gate glass. DIY or cost

Geeky
11-02-2011, 21:41
Hi,

I need a new boot. At the mo I have the option of getting a standard grey one delivered for £50 (No spoiler + wrong colour)

or, a williams 3 one delivered for £100 with no guarantee the glass won't break.

Tempted to go for the latter option but not if getting someone to replace the glass costs a fortune (I guess autoglass wouldn't want to use my existing window as that might crack on removal).

Alternatively, anyone know if it can be done as a DIY job? If anyone's done it would really appreciate knowing what tools you used, proper or bodged (You can get special right angled blade things with a cord to help pull it sideways but I'm not adverse to a bit of enginuity!)

Any experience on this much appreciated, thanks

diditno
11-02-2011, 22:08
to remove the rear glass, push the seal forward as if your inside the car, work your way round and it will pop out, as for fitting run strong string round the inside of the seal, push the glass in the top and pull the string round, and it will pop on. 2 people are an advantage when doing this. simples.

MatBrown
11-02-2011, 22:13
Yeah, rear screens are just popped in with the seal, not bonded.

MatBrown
11-02-2011, 22:16
For £100, why don't you have a day out and come and buy one from me for £30.
Not going to use £70 in fuel.
Or hang on till i visit blackpool and i'll bring one with me.

Geeky
11-02-2011, 22:34
to remove the rear glass, push the seal forward as if your inside the car, work your way round and it will pop out, as for fitting run strong string round the inside of the seal, push the glass in the top and pull the string round, and it will pop on. 2 people are an advantage when doing this. simples.

Brilliant, much less daunted by this now, thanks very much. The string thing is hard to picture at the mo (i.e strung inside seal = within the groove of the seal, or = the inside of the car side of the seal :)

I'll have a look tommorow though, I'm sure it will become clear.

Geeky
11-02-2011, 22:36
For £100, why don't you have a day out and come and buy one from me for £30.
Not going to use £70 in fuel.
Or hang on till i visit blackpool and i'll bring one with me.

Oooh, Mat's UK tour sounds good, when do you hit blackpool, I'll make a list =)

P.S. I moonlight as Oil-C on clio-williams =)

MatBrown
11-02-2011, 22:59
I can bring the head too. :wink:

Geeky
11-02-2011, 23:20
:) don't rule it out, if you're really comming to Blackpool then defo bring the boot, I'm in no rush. The head, well that depends how money flows between here and then :)

MatBrown
12-02-2011, 08:27
We tend to visit the seaside on bank holidays.

katbloke
12-02-2011, 10:05
Oil-C the glass out method is easy, spoiler will be in the way though but strin to put it back in is easy way or get a screen fitter around, will refit it for approx 30

Geeky
12-02-2011, 14:57
Thanks Katbloke :)

Mat, It's going to be a while before This things back on the road I think so I can wait. I'll PM my mobile number, the cars at my mums house, accross from the beach in st annes. Could maybe put an order in for some sandwhiches for ya, nice garden and nice dunes to play on across the road + a massive carpark :)

diditno
12-02-2011, 18:01
if you do break the glass, highly unlikely, ive got a couple spare, as well as a rear spoiler if you need them at any point.

Geeky
12-02-2011, 21:42
if you do break the glass, highly unlikely, ive got a couple spare, as well as a rear spoiler if you need them at any point.

Spot on, I should post on here more often, you lot make things so much easier :)

simonr85
13-02-2011, 15:50
sorry to jump in on the thread, but if your coming to blackpool you can bring me a tailgate too mat, and a bonnet and probably a few other bits lol

where are you geeky?

Geeky
14-02-2011, 13:16
I'm St Annes m8, I'm guessing you're Kirkham? I met up with another guy from here who woirks in the tyre garage in Kirkham, his Willy is mint, did me a nice price on some Eagle F1s last year.

We'll have to meet up once mines back on the road.

theweekendhaslanded
15-02-2011, 01:18
Dont forget me when you meet up, Im in Warton. One of mine will be back on the road next month. :D

MatBrown
16-02-2011, 23:51
Might coming sooner than i thought, there's a bonnet i need to collect in Cumbria.