PDA

View Full Version : dress down at work?

Wobba
09-02-2011, 20:30
Odd subject here, but I wana get it off my chest.

What do you guys and gals wear at work?

After three and a half years of building up to it, preparing the way and getting my old fashioned & traditional boss accustomed to the idea of loosening the policy on our dress code in the office, he surprised us all this week and allowed all of the working staff at work to have a democratic vote on the subject.

He asked what each person wanted to wear out of smart casual wear (with the option of full formal attire as well), full formal office attire only (pressed shirt and trousers and tie/shoes for guys...whatever looks nice for women) or some kind of in-between compromise.

50% voted casual wear or office.
25% voted dress down Fridays.
25% voted formal office attire only.

Bare in mind, the casual dress voters only want the option to choose what to wear and could still choose formal clothing. So in fact to vote anything else means you personally don't want the choice, or you just want to stop others having the choice.

Well, somehow it got worked out so that the dress down Friday voters won because it was felt the people wanting formal dress should be acknowledged...

My argument was that the 50% should be the ones to get their way as they are the majority for a start, and also that their vote has no effect on the choice of others, i.e. anyone can still wear their smart clothes all week of they want.

I guess I should just be thankful for small mercies and making this tiny bit of progress with Friday dress down, but I still feel robbed of a great chance to change things for good! BAH!

Surprisingly, even though the women wear mostly whatever they want anyway, it was them who primarily voted for the smart casual option. The only lady that didn't actually didn't know what she was voting for.

Guess what the dudes who voted smart dress only will wear on Friday? I guarantee it wont be formal wear, ****ing hypocrites.

****ing robbed!! RAAAARGH!

Rant over.

So what about you other peeps? What are your work dress codes like? Still in the stone age? Many women wear ties?

Red_Dash
09-02-2011, 20:49
Where I work, it's a very informal dress code. The only people who wear suits tend to be the ones who are customer facing. It works well for us. I don't see any point in working somewhere in a full suit and tie when it has no bearing on how the business is percieved. In fact, our business is viewed better because of it as it's seen as a more relaxed place to work and not 'stuffy'.

16v_paddy
09-02-2011, 22:51
Uniforms & totalitarian/communist style authority F T W :twisted:

This thread is also useless without pics of the womens in your office :wink:

scratabout1988
09-02-2011, 23:37
due to working 50/50 in office and on site i have to wear full anti-flam clothing in case a gas pipe bursts and sets me on fire by chance! unlike the office squabs who can dress down and wear what they want on a friday.

i've tried to go back to school on the subject and modify my baggy cargo trousers, hi-vis waistcoat, equipped with caterpillar work boots to look as cool as possible!

:D

Tommo
10-02-2011, 00:24
Being managing director I can wear whatever I like.... :wink:

2 live
10-02-2011, 10:55
climbing in and out of metre deep holes in the middle of the road is no place for wearing a suit thankfully. always feel uncomfy in a suit tbh. weddings n funerals ;)

get uniform supplied for work.

Clio-Girl
10-02-2011, 12:02
they have made us start using a dress code, which kinda sucks as i spent 4yrs wearing what i wanted!

i have to wear black trousers, black logo shirt and i have a black hooded 'Thule' top as well which is ok, better than the awful fitted itchy woollen jumpers they supply, but i do rebel and wear trainers every day

redeye83
10-02-2011, 13:28
Wear what ever I want really as long as don't mind gettin covered in crap from climbing in and out of tanks all day. But when I'm in Libya have work trousers and polo shirt or boiler suit (all with company logo though obviously) so we all look the same for the the customer.

Justin..
10-02-2011, 15:20
Who cares it's job not a fashion show :lol:

ThRaXaIR
10-02-2011, 17:54
Who cares it's job not a fashion show :lol:

err whatever! when im rocking around on site i simply must be the prettiest and most stylish sparky around! if not, i'm off home!

Jaymzfc
10-02-2011, 18:38
I've also brought this up at work especially in the summer months whens it 40 odd degrees, generally wear trousers and shirt no tie, i have 4 ties in my office drawer in case of meetings with clients, friday's is dress down day.
In summer i have worn shorts and a polo shirt and got a very funny looks from the boss, but just make sure i dont have client visits that day.

Coops
10-02-2011, 18:53
i wear a pants on my head anda cricket box.friday dress down i usually crack out the mankini and rubber flippers/snorkel combo

Smokey McPot
10-02-2011, 19:06
The only stipulation in the lab I work in is 'no blue jeans' which is a ****ing joke.

I wear a lab coat and mankini.

Pics through PM's.

16v_paddy
11-02-2011, 01:23
i wear a pants on my head anda cricket box.friday dress down i usually crack out the mankini and rubber flippers/snorkel combo

Prove it!

and Tom.....I thought you was a scumbag student whose opinion doesn't count for shit? :P

ThRaXaIR
11-02-2011, 10:20
yeah i am but..... i was a pretty sparky... i'll go.. :(