PDA

View Full Version : Ignition off, Fan on - always

ab001
09-02-2011, 02:58
Happy new owner of my Williams 3 for about a week and sorting out the "features"... e.g.

Strange handling, NSF keen to spin up and wander about in the wet... found out the tyre randomly had 55 PSI in it...

Just had to change the car battery "live" with jump leads to the new one because I didn't have the key to disable the alarm so everytime it's disconnected WAAAH! I probably won't win any neighbourhood popularity contests for a while but I won't hear them moaning either because now I'm a little bit deaf...

My next thing is the fan. It cuts in literally everytime I switch the engine off. Even when the engine is cold and if I just turn the key forwards and back without starting it. Assuming I have a low temp thermostat fitted - does this sound normal?

cliokiz
09-02-2011, 09:46
If it's cutting in with the engine off then it won't be the radiator temperature sensor activating it.

Sounds like the anti perculation system to me. There's a sensor on your thermostat housing which activates the system if the water is hot. Might find the sensor is faulty or the wiring to the plug is shorting.

MatBrown
09-02-2011, 18:14
Yeah, thats the anti-perc system kicking in, check for melted wires in the relay box, the sensor for it is the grey one on the stat housing.

Wobba
09-02-2011, 21:07
Jack the nearside front up and do the quarter to three test and the half past twelve too. Excessive play indicates either worn CV or bearing.

Check the wishbone ball joint that goes into the stub axle. There should be a bolt that clamps the ball joint locating bar to the underside of the stub axle.

Check the bushes are on the anti roll bar, it should be clamped to the wishbone.

Have a quick look at the spring under there too, and try the bounce test on that corner of the car to see if damper is shot.

Finally, have a look at the wear on both front tyres. May show some evidence of what's wrong.

ab001
09-02-2011, 22:50
Thanks for the pointers all - really helpful to know what to look at.

Wobba - don't think that's for me but all knowledge gratefully received!