PDA

View Full Version : Starter issue

Lee b
01-02-2011, 22:15
Hi all my willi 2 is sick again!

It starts ok from cold plenty of power and it turns over quickly them fires. But if you stop start a few times it's as if the starter is lazy then for some reason it doesnt turn over as if the battery is flat, if you bump it starts straight then will work off the key again straight away.

It's bad a new alternator and battery last year .

I assume it's the starter but would appreciate some wisdom before changing it. There is one on eBay new for £52 but it mentions 9-11 teeth is this right
If someone could let me know, thanks

n9kie
01-02-2011, 22:42
When the engine will not turn over after driving can you hear the solonoid on the starter clicking??

MatBrown
01-02-2011, 23:30
Is the starter motor heatshield in place?

Lee b
02-02-2011, 01:47
Yes the heatsheild is in Place and in good nick. The engine actually turns over with the starter once driven but it's slow as if it's stiff and lazy like the battery is going flat. Once the car is pushed though it turns over quickly as normal plenty of life in the battery bit strange really

n9kie
02-02-2011, 08:17
When the engine is turning over slowly get a volt meter on the battery and see what charge you have

Lee b
09-02-2011, 01:39
Hi guys sorry for delay been busy with work.
Right, I get 12v before I turn the key, it drops to about 10, then 9.5 before it fires then back up to 14v. I stop started it about 10 times then the battery was only 11.4 dropping to 7 then 6 then 3.

It appears then its the battery but it was new last year, What I don't understand is that it starts fine most of the time but then the starter seems to eat the power, turns over slow could it be a sticky Starter though it's always turned over slow , very lazy when it turns . Also does anyone know the answer to the teeth issue.

fab
09-02-2011, 13:56
I assume it's the starter but would appreciate some wisdom before changing it. There is one on eBay new for £52 but it mentions 9-11 teeth is this right
If someone could let me know, thanks

9 teeth on the spare I have.

Lee b
09-02-2011, 20:01
Thanks for that, I think I'll change the starter may as well most other things are new now!