PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance info

Wobba
24-01-2011, 16:42
Read it and weep:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2011/01/car-insurance-costs-in-record-leap

fab
24-01-2011, 16:57
Doesnt give any indication why premium's have rocketed up so high?
We had the same problems here some years ago due to personal injury claims but they kinda put a stop to that and with a bit of competition in the market, the price for car insurance is quite reasonable at this time.

sucks nonetheless.

djtlane
24-01-2011, 21:55
Got mine more than halved this year with a 3000 mile limit, but agreed value.
Granted i'm an old fart but from a renewal of 368 to 168 with Sureterm.
Needs them to jump on this feeking fraudsters until they stop wriggling.

kenny
24-01-2011, 23:46
The financial services association (FSA) has recently announced that the big 5 insurance providers have been caught with their metaphorical fingers in the till, in that they have been sharing customer information on pricing thereby artificially inflating prices. (competition my arse). I suspect they are acting in union to claw back any fines imposed if the FSA prove the claim. They have been pushing the 'uninsured losses' claim for a long time now with a view to educating the masses to the effect that premiums must rise to accomodate these losses, (I dont believe it). They have also been quietly busy lobbying government on the 'uninsured driver' problem, the outcome being that goverment is proposing to legislate on the matter. Gov proposes legislation requiring all vehicles to be insured all year, irespective of where they are, on, or off the road. The intention is to make insurance cover compulsory 24/7, 365 days a year, the uninsured vehicle will be taken where the owner fails to comply. Of course it's a win win situation, the insurance companies will increase revenues, a whole new service sector will appear to check and impound uninsured vehicles run by, guess who, and the law abiding majority will get :rofl: lower premiums. But take heart everyone "the war on the motorist is over"

stevie_b
25-01-2011, 00:10
The proposal is that if it is SORNd then it will not need to be insured. The main losers if it comes in are those with older classics (pre-'73) where the tax is nil-rated. They are used to leaving the car in their garage taxed (as it has no cost) but not insured (as there is a cost, so they will just insure it when the weather turns good in the spring or summer) but the new proposal will make this illegal - they'll have to keep sending the free tax disc back to SORN it so that they do not need insurance even when off the road. It sounds like a royal pain but if it does something about the uninsured masses on the road (not sure what?) then I guess it could be worthwhile. I'm already used to the paperwork of constant SORNing and retaxing as my lot are all 90's onwards so I want the tax back as well as saving the insurance when I rest them off the road!

kenny
25-01-2011, 00:54
That wasn't how I understood the proposal. I understood the idea was to stop owners who had no insurance or tax/sorned from 'going for a quick spin' Your interpretation sounds a pain but would likely be more acceptable to the majority who are not owners of several vehicles, I wonder if it might be a smoke screen along the lines of, making it complicated enough to cause an uproar then using that public annoyance as an excuse to simplify the proposal by introducing 365 day insurance, an idea that would be far more readilly acceptable to the majority of car owners who do this anyway. I don't like either interpretation and believe the higher premiums rise the more uninsured drivers there will be and there are already laws to combat the law breakers, I believe there are not enough law enforcement personel on the streets to impose the existing laws, but that's no reason for letting interested parties drive forward more legislation. You could be right, I might just be too cynical. Hope I'm not going off topic now.

Wobba
25-01-2011, 01:16
Sorry to tell you guys but the FSA and the FOS are a bunch of dicks.

Don't get me wrong, the basic reason of their being in existence is a good thing, but any fines they impose will just go back into making the consumer pay more again to cover the costs.

LEIGH-ANNE
25-01-2011, 01:20
Clearly this world is full of dicks!

My insurance is up for renewal tomorrow

2 live
25-01-2011, 01:28
not good..get a 1.0 mini insured and ins the willy on a classic policy ;)

16v_paddy
25-01-2011, 02:29
Where does this bollocks leave me then? :?

My insurance runs out on the 13th feb but I wont be renewing it until I can afford to and when it's ready to come out of danny's workshop, which will be in march. :?

stevie_b
25-01-2011, 09:34
I understood the idea was to stop owners who had no insurance or tax/sorned from 'going for a quick spin'

I think that was a hope but not sure how it does much to address that problem though. If you SORN your car then you wouldn't have to have tax or insurance and there is nothing more to stop you taking it for a quick spin without those than there is today (i.e. good old policing on the roads so you run the risk of getting caught and points plus fine). The new proposal might succeed in 'scaring' some people into getting insured who today drive uninsured but think they are not on the road much so risk of being caught is low, whereas now they are at risk of being caught 24/7. With the cost of insurance as it is today though how 'scared' would they have to be to warrant finding/spending £750+ (say insurance £500 and tax £250 to be a legal motorist) to become legal? I see the problem for the industry, and therefore us due to the 'uninsured losses' they keep talking about, getting worse as ramping premiums end up swaying more people to take the risk.

stevie_b
25-01-2011, 09:41
Where does this bollocks leave me then? :?

My insurance runs out on the 13th feb but I wont be renewing it until I can afford to and when it's ready to come out of danny's workshop, which will be in march. :?

Don't worry about it in the short-term - it leaves you where you are now (i.e. vehicle must still be taxed or SORNd instead whilst it is in the workshop). It is currently only a proposal, and some years old at that, and may never come in - it was proposed under the last government so I don't know if the new lot even agree with the idea?

Daz.
25-01-2011, 12:03
I had to renew mine last week - I now pay more than I did when I was 23 - so 6 years more driving experience and no claims means feck all at the moment!

schakal
25-01-2011, 13:03
I had to renew mine last week - I now pay more than I did when I was 23 - so 6 years more driving experience and no claims means feck all at the moment!

how much more ? :shock:

Daz.
25-01-2011, 13:12
Only a few quid but its still more.

I was down to £412 and have now gone back up to over £600...

schakal
25-01-2011, 13:30
Only a few quid but its still more.

I was down to £412 and have now gone back up to over £600...

fokker me :shock:
thats like %50 rise ffs .
do they mention about the reason of the rise ?

mine is due for renewal in april with tescos :roll:

MatBrown
25-01-2011, 14:47
Just got a quote for the T and i think it was very reasonable, £420 with the mrs added too.

Daz.
25-01-2011, 15:08
Just got a quote for the T and i think it was very reasonable, £420 with the mrs added too.

Aye but you're like a million years old and have a nicer postcode that me :wink:

vkosho
26-01-2011, 20:45
Mine is off the road at the moment as a result of insurance, hence not really being around here much currently. It went up from 750 to 1100 which i simply can't afford so im running a diesel vw caddy now :roll:

Gonna be looking into classic insurance in the spring. And possibly waiting till i turn 25. Sad times.. I think car insurance is the most expensive thing in the world right now.

katbloke
26-01-2011, 21:06
Sorn'd mine to get work done, avoid the 180 tax and the 300 fully comp

16v_paddy
26-01-2011, 21:11
Just had my renewal come through today and it's not as bad as I was expecting, gone up from £420 to £465 :D

But......I've got to tell them about some jenveys yet so we'll just have to wait & see if it gets any worse :?

Tommo
26-01-2011, 21:56
Sorn'd mine to get work done, avoid the 180 tax and the 300 fully comp

Me too.... :cry: